advertisement

Repairing digital images

Mark LJ

pfm Member
Just wondered what people used to 'repair' marks/splodges on their pictures.

For example - there has likely been a bit of dust on the filter/lens causing the 'splodge' on the top of the second tree from the right. I have ACDSee but I'm finding it well nigh impossible to make fixes.

4567244353_28d5c72bce.jpg

Nice shot - are you sure that's not just the sun?

I use the clone and spot healing tools in PS3, but one of the annoyances of digital sensors is that the dust is always is the same place ...

Thank you Patrick. Sun wasn't up - still well below the horizon. It was just after 5.30am.

Only way to avoid bus loads of people in shot at some locations :)

Mark just for funs download the trial version of photoshop CS5 and play with the content aware stuff

Its f**ing good!

Heres a play, I picked the trees with the lasso and hit fill, content aware and nothing else.

Before:

P8105638.jpg

After, about 3 seconds later

P81056381.jpg

Amazingly done - does seem to be replicating the style in a randomly non random sort of a way instead of carrying on the lines. Impressive work though. I'll give it a wee go just for fun.

Patrick I rather think if you had not been told you would be none the wiser.

I am not saying this is any way a saviour of anything, what I can say is having played with the free trial which any of you can, the content aware stuff is seriously effective. Or put another way, you download my original image and get to my final image in 3 seconds.

No lets make it fair, get there in 6 minutes.

Mark

I looked at your original sized image on your flickr page and that is just a bit of lens flare from the bright sky above the tree.

I had a quick hack at the tree with quick select and lassoo select in CS4 using curves and USM to restore the contrast and detail, a bit - this is probably easier using the RAW rather than the jpeg by the way

markfix.jpg

Cheers Cliff - Still on that steep learning curve. I didn't expect to get lens flare without the sun being over the horizon.

Need to get up earlier still.

Patrick I rather think if you had not been told you would be none the wiser.

I am not saying this is any way a saviour of anything, what I can say is having played with the free trial which any of you can, the content aware stuff is seriously effective. Or put another way, you download my original image and get to my final image in 3 seconds.

No lets make it fair, get there in 6 minutes.

I know it was just a quickie but you can clearly see where the trees used to be especially on the left hand side, it looks like a patch-that said the edges would be easy to blend in so this could be a useful feature where time is an issue.

I dare say that if the reverse was true - as in if garyi had said look at the pic (without tree) - then pretended to add the tree then you'd be saying that with it - the pic looks odd... :)

I think that people will find it a great feature.

Is creative suite worth the 400 quid to upgrade for me?

Na, I don't even think load times are any quicker and as I understand it Photoshops gone cocoa so it should be quicker.

Now Microsoft Office 2011. Thats another matter.

I use Apple Aperture for fixing things - the clone and spot healing tools IME are more sophisticated and easier to use successfully than those in CS3. (I've not tried CS4 or CS5).

advertisement

Back