advertisement

Repainting a Half Decent Wall Shelf

wazza69

pfm Member
Hi,

I have a silver Half Decent brand wall shelf that I would like to paint white to match the walls. I was told that I could paint it using primer and a car paint aerosol.

I am not practically minded, has anyone done this? What would be the steps towards getting a good finish

Thanks

If you have no experience then the best way to get a good finish is to get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I'd have it sprayed by a local car shop when they next have white paint doing, or powder coated. As a guid I got a bike frame shotblasted and powdered in orange for £30, it looks better than I could ever do with aerosols, and I have done a fair bit of car paintwork. £30 doesn't buy many aerosols these days.

Yes, I have done this is it.

Converted a previously painted white Archidee wall shelf T/T stand to a black one, with a bit of paint stripper, then elbow grease on the sanding, grey primer spray can and satin black top coat, turned out quite nice there. As they say, it is all in the preparation, dust free and not too much paint in each pass.

DS

Steve has a good point and you have to be careful of what type of coating is on there now as if you spray over it with an incompatible paint then it could craze and you would have to start again, that said the halfords paints are acrylic which is quite tolerant.
if you do want to have a go your self I would rub the whole thing down with 400 wet and dry (using water) when its dry then degrease it, panel wipe is best or some acrylic thinners.
I would then fix it to the wall in the garage with spacers between the wall.
Give it a dry coat of light grey primer always by the big tins as the spray pattern is much better than the little tins. allow to dry then give it a very light rub over with some 800 dry or a fine scotch pad if it feels a bit rough or you have runs.
Buy a big tin of white and give it a couple of thin dry coats to build up the colour leave it for half an hour then give it a final wettish coat to try an get a gloss or satin shine This is were you get the runs if your not careful, go as close as 4" but keep moving fast

to get the dry coats keep the spray further away and keep it moving all the time
It can be very rewarding if you get it right and no runs or sags

As Steve says you won't have much change out of 30 quid even if you do it your self
Allways wear a good quality face mask

Alan

I'd be inclined to give it to a professional and have the thing sand-blasted back to bare metal and then power coated. Your time is arguably worth more than it'll cost for someone to do it if you're not "practically minded".

Is that a real brand 'Half Decent'?

You could make a proper Hi-Fi support set with the 'Half Decent' support stands, Tony's 'Placebo' Isolation levels and 'Pointless' low impact blunt aluminium cones is it.

DS

advertisement

Back