advertisement

Removing orange mask from colour negs in Photoshop?

Anex

Señor Member
What is the best way to go about this? I only have the free Epson scanning software which won't allow me to use the neg. processing option with my scanner cause it doesn't have 'photo' written on it anywhere. So how can I go about doing it in Photoshop? I've read stuff about scanning a 'black' neg and a 'white' neg and setting these using the black and white colour droppers, but that seems a bit crap as that might (and probably won't be) where the black and white points are for the image. What to do? :confused:

Thank you sir, I will try it tonight. Looking forward to see whether my first colour process has worked, there's definitely colour on the negs, but I did have a few temperature issues.

Can't get that to work - all I can select is colour or B&W photo, I can't see any options for negative scanning at all. It also doesn't recognise my scanner properly and thinks it's a different model :/

Something sounds wrong in that case - what scanner have you got? If Vuescan isn't recognising the scanner model, it sounds like a communication problem somewhere.

On my Epson V500, you also have to remove the flat white insert thingy if you 're scanning negs rather than line art, and also connect up a connector thing on the back. That foxed me at first. But then I'm dead technical me.

It's an epson dx4050 all in one printer scanner thingy. It's not a 'photo' scanner, but doesn't that just mean it comes with a neg holder (and they don't disable bits in the driver software!)?

I have to 'tell' my scanner that it's scanning negs rather than artwork (by the two physical stages I described above) - it can't work it out by itself. Maybe there's something similar on yours?

OK I'll have a look for 'flat white insert thingy' :) If there's a 'connector thing' I don't have it - all I can see is USB and power and afaik it didn't come with anything else (although I did inherit it 2nd hand).

Clearly the easy answer here is that I need to buy a new scanner, but unfortunately that isn't an option just now.

Yes, that's it (maybe...) I've been looking at the 4050 online, and can't see any specific mention of it scanning negs/slides. It might not be able to.

Well it can scan B&W negs without any problem - I can't see why there needs to be any difference in the hardware to scan a negative as opposed to anything else. I think it's just epson being difficult and trying to get me to buy a 'photo' scanner. Oh well. I'll buy a Canon instead.

advertisement

Back