advertisement

Remind me: how do I add photos to the site?

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I'm sure there used to be a FAQ explaining how to do this. I have posted before but not since the site was revamped.

Can anyone offer a quick beginners guide to the various ways to get photos onto here? (Or direct me to one that already exists.)

Kevin

The FAQ is in the reference room, it is covered there. Basically I don’t host photos for all manner of reasons (bandwidth, privacy etc), so you need to stash them somewhere else and link to them. Any URL needs to be an actual link to an image, e.g. end in filename.jpg. It is here most folk go wrong. I use Flickr myself, but many other options are available.

Thanks Tony, I'll check that out and revive my flickr account if that's what's needed.

Cool. On Flickr use the web interface (the iOS app is just dreadful), choose the little bent up-arrow ‘share’ thingy, select ‘BB code’ from the options and a size of 1024px or less and just copy the whole lot of code into your post (i.e. don’t use the image icon on the toolbar here on pfm).

Hmm - seems Flickr will cost me £5 a month and I don't think I'll use it for anything else.

Any suggestions for workarounds of alternative platforms?

postimages.org looks like a very simple free option, though I’ve no idea how long they’ll keep things up, what their usage policy is etc. Worth a look though.

Is there no possibility in Google Drive or Picasa ? Would be handy. I looked for it and I wasn't successful.

Hmm - seems Flickr will cost me £5 a month and I don't think I'll use it for anything else.

Any suggestions for workarounds of alternative platforms?

Does Flickr not still do the 1000 photo limit hosting for free? That's what's I'm on, but perhaps it's been stopped for new accounts. I only use it for posting here so with a photo or so a week it lasts a while

They only charge £5 a month if you sign up to their Pro option. A non-Pro account is free and you can upload up to 1,000 photos.

Does Flickr not still do the 1000 photo limit hosting for free? That's what's I'm on, but perhaps it's been stopped for new accounts. I only use it for posting here so with a photo or so a week it lasts a while

Sadly I had an account from 10 or so years ago that's been dormant for ages. It recognised my email address and said I'd already exceeded the 1000 pictures.

I guess one option might be to try to set up a new account from a different address...

I'm not paying anything for my Flickr account, but I guess I'm nowhere near 1000 pictures.

advertisement

Back