advertisement

Reliable car which is inexpensive to maintain outside of guarantee

I think it's generally accepted that the tricked out models with all the fancy electronic gadgets tend to start failing after 5-10 years. Now if you have a warning light about a failure on the passenger seat massaging system, then it's just the inconvenience of a light, but if it's got tricked out self levelling suspension that decides to not operate, it can be dangerous.

So my advice is to be careful what gadgets you get if you want to keep a car running long term, and avoid the best spec and try and find 'sensible and reliable' to avoid a nasty bill to keep something working which you don't really need.

I think it's generally accepted that the tricked out models with all the fancy electronic gadgets tend to start failing after 5-10 years. Now if you have a warning light about a failure on the passenger seat massaging system, then it's just the inconvenience of a light, but if it's got tricked out self levelling suspension that decides to not operate, it can be dangerous.

So my advice is to be careful what gadgets you get if you want to keep a car running long term, and avoid the best spec and try and find 'sensible and reliable' to avoid a nasty bill to keep something working which you don't really need.

Good advice IMHO. Don’t forget ECU warning lights are an MOT failure. Could write a car off in some cases. Japanese and petrol, keep it simple without the fancy kit.

London was a great place to drive, until the war on cars began about five years ago, made worse two years ago with LTN's, now it's pretty horrible at times.

Agreed. It's absolutely horrible driving in London now.
I moved out from London to Herts 12 years ago.

I gave a lift to my daughter to Victoria Coach a couple of years ago.
20mph across all roads in Islington. I can understand the 20mph down the side streets, but this also included the A1.
Three lanes per side on the A1, trying to trickle along at 20mph.

Then, Park Lane, a whole lane removed for bicycle use, causing traffic jams in the remaining lanes.

I can't see myself driving within the North/South Circular roads in London ever again.

20mph across all roads in Islington. I can understand the 20mph down the side streets, but this also included the A1.

Then, Park Lane, a whole lane removed for bicycle use, causing traffic jams in the remaining lanes.

I can't see myself driving within the North/South Circular roads in London ever again.
And that is what Khan wants… everyone to visit ‘his’ city but not to travel by car. Sadly he hasn’t worked out that the majority of people driving there are doing so out of necessity not because they want to. His “world class” public transport system just doesn’t work for them.

It's been part of his masterplan for a decade when he began changing the traffic light timing so there would be more time spent on Red than Green, so the congestion would increase, so he could then introduce 'congestion' measures, which of course, cost the driver money, and make him some dollars. Money was always the primary.

Another thing he has done - removed the daytime/out of rush hour use of bus lanes, so they remain empty now in the day and night while there is standstill traffic in the remaining lane.

You may have also noticed some of the ridiculous cycle lanes, that they have taken an entire road lane to make, that can't be 'continued' at the end of the road or when there is a bend etc so they have increased congestion to give a cyclist a minute of impeded access.

We even have a combination of a LTN and 3 x School Streets now in a square mile, which is basically killing everyone with fumes who live on the two main roads the traffic has now been diverted on to. We never actually had a traffic problem in this area before the LTN's, standard rush hour traffic for a couple of hours a day but mostly quiet, now it's pretty much 8am-8pm hard traffic every day.

The TFL stats show his corruption.

It's been part of his masterplan for a decade when he began changing the traffic light timing so there would be more time spent on Red than Green, so the congestion would increase, so he could then introduce 'congestion' measures, which of course, cost the driver money, and make him some dollars. Money was always the primary.

Another thing he has done - removed the daytime/out of rush hour use of bus lanes, so they remain empty now in the day and night while there is standstill traffic in the remaining lane.

You may have also noticed some of the ridiculous cycle lanes, that they have taken an entire road lane to make, that can't be 'continued' at the end of the road or when there is a bend etc so they have increased congestion to give a cyclist a minute of impeded access.

We even have a combination of a LTN and 3 x School Streets now in a square mile, which is basically killing everyone with fumes who live on the two main roads the traffic has now been diverted on to. We never actually had a traffic problem in this area before the LTN's, standard rush hour traffic for a couple of hours a day but mostly quiet, now it's pretty much 8am-8pm hard traffic every day.

The TFL stats show his corruption.

Who's 'he'?

I don't see it.

Regardless, disagree with the policies by all means, but leave the childish demonisation to the usual right wingers.

You mean like Kahnt did? He called me a Right Wing Fascist because I oppose his ULEZ like he did many other decent working class people who are being abused by his abuse of power.

I couldn't give a ***k what I or anyone else calls him or whatever tears are spilled because of whatever remark is made. Academia is overrated sometimes.

A Ford is definitely the answer and my choice would be a Mondeo.

Some of the Japanese and Korean makes being suggested are reliable it’s true, but when they do finally go wrong, some parts prices can be truly eye-watering.

A Ford is definitely the answer and my choice would be a Mondeo.

Some of the Japanese and Korean makes being suggested are reliable it’s true, but when they do finally go wrong, some parts prices can be truly eye-watering.
Well, as I said upthread, mine was indestructible and cost next to nothing beyond fuel.

I'm looking for recommendations for reliable car relatively inexpensive (or not crazily expensive) to maintain outside of guarantee. I don't want to pay inflated prices of new cars nowadays so looking for something with max 120,000km that will not just fall apart. Currently I drive Suzuki S-Cross with 230,000km from 2014 but I feel like changing it soon. It would need to be a comfortable for long trips (770km from my residence to a summer house) but economic enough for city rides. It can be simple enough, I don't need stuff like navi, multimedia etc - it anyway gonna break sooner or later. 4x4 is a good bonus.

What would you look after?
Pre 2008 Manual Volvo D5 (S60 saloon, V70 or XC70 estate or C70 coupe) with just over 100k on the clock. There are few ways of travelling long distances as comfortably and swiftly that are cheaper to buy or more reliable. Reckon on £1k a year for servicing, tax and insurance, though. And you will get a fantastic stereo.

Pre 2008 Manual Volvo D5 (S60 saloon, V70 or XC70 estate or C70 coupe) with just over 100k on the clock. There are few ways of travelling long distances as comfortably and swiftly that are cheaper to buy or more reliable. Reckon on £1k a year for servicing, tax and insurance, though. And you will get a fantastic stereo.

Good recommendation IME. We have had a 2004 XC70 and a 2007 S80 since new. Neither has left us stranded, or required unplanned repair. The XC70 is a five cylinder, and the S80 is six. Both have performed perfectly.

It’s nice when the yearly budget is consistent, but that’s not what I have experienced. $1000/year feels about right to me, but it still could be $4000 in year one repairs and $250/year maintenance for the next four.

advertisement

Back