advertisement

Rel T5x hums

kevinrt

pfm Member
Hi

I have recently introduced a Rel T5x subwoofer into my system ands it hums. My system was quiet before the introduction of the sub.

The hum is not present when I switch on from cold, but starts after 30-60 mins. It cannot be heard whilst music is playing, but as soon as the music stops the hum is audible throughout the room, and it’s annoying. I can’t live with it so it has to be fixed.

I have it hooked up to the speaker terminals of my amplifier (high level input). The connections are all secure.
I have tried the low level input. I have tried adding an rca cable to the low level input for earthing whilst using the high level input for audio (as Rel suggest as a way of eliminating hum). I have tried plugging into different outlets within the room. I tried running an extension lead from another room in the house. I have tried the sub in different positions in the room, both close to the hifi and main speakers and distant from them. I tried substituting my usual amplifier (Leak Stereo 20) for a Quad 909. None of this has made a difference.

The previous owner had no problems with a hum.

Do any other Rel T5x owners have any experience of this, or any suggestions that might help?

The fact that the hum isn’t present at first, but starts up after 30-60 mins makes me think the issue is within the sub rather than the mains supply or the equipment it is attached to.

It may be that it has developed a fault and needs to be repaired. Any suggestions?

regards

Kevin

A T5x isn’t that old, so still in warranty, I’d have thought? Take it back to a dealer for an investigation & return to rel for repair? Not sure if the warranty is transferable to a 2nd owner though.
Some people don’t use the black core of the Neutrik cable to cure hum issues.
With Naim amps, some people connect the Neutrik cable to the speaker end rather than the amp end.

It’s a component getting hot and failing when it does if in
Honest.

I had this in a BK sub

Thanks. That was what I was guessing.
As the hum wasn’t there from cold it suggested something warming up, and as it happened with both amps I had excluded those as the source, in my mind.

regards

Kevin

Mine in brand new out the box, make sure the power lead is pushed all the way home on the mains connection and check the integrity of and plug that may be fitted on the black lead from the neutrino cable, mine was slightly loose, I have also tried other spare outlets on the back of my Aktiv linn power amps, my hum has now reduced by about 90%. The LFE to spare RCA connection link didn’t work for me(see rel troubleshooting link). Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Thanks boon.

I think I have tried all of the options suggested here and on Rel’s website/YouTube videos.

regards

Kevin

Could be a problem with your smoothing capacitors in your psu. If a few years old may need replacing.

Get it back to REL. It should be still under warranty as the T5/x is not that old. Mine is about a year old now and makes zero hum. Just sits in the corner doing its stuff, hum free.

Get it back to REL. It should be still under warranty as the T5/x is not that old. Mine is about a year old now and makes zero hum. Just sits in the corner doing its stuff, hum free.

Thanks. I’ve emailed them today so will see what they say.

I’m not the original owner and don’t think the warranty is transferable, but hopefully they’ll be willing to help.

regards

Kevin

I had a Rel Strata 3 in early 2000s. Great piece of kit. Never an issue. Moved it on as it was too big.
One of my reasons for going back to Rel was their reliability. You might just be unlucky.

I sent the sub back to Rel and they confirmed that it was faulty. I have it back now, fixed and it sounds great. No hum unless I kneel next to the sub with my ear close to it, without music playing, and this is very quiet.

Rel were really helpful and I’d recommend them as a company to deal with.

regards

Kevin

Just seen this thread, I've got the same REL sub and it does exactly the same as yours did, will have to contact them myself and hopefully get mine sorted. Pleased you are happy with yours, it's a great sub but you don't want a buzz even though you can't hear it when the music is playing.

Just seen this thread, I've got the same REL sub and it does exactly the same as yours did, will have to contact them myself and hopefully get mine sorted. Pleased you are happy with yours, it's a great sub but you don't want a buzz even though you can't hear it when the music is playing.

Agreed. The quiet hum that I now have can only be heard when I’m right next to the sub, and is there from switch on.
Quite different from the fault, which was audible from the other side of the room and only started 30 mins after switch on.
I may investigate the other strategies now to see if I can resolve the residual hum. Not a problem if I can’t, I’ve had amplifiers like that in the past.

regards

Kevin

advertisement

Back