advertisement

REL subwoofer hum from high-level connection

timauger

Greetings from London. I have had a REL sub for years, and an ongoing problem. The high-level connection cable picks up hum. If I move the cable to in a position that is not in fact convenient (i.e. across the floor), then it's fine. But put the cable where it ought to be, and there is a persistent hum, annoying if the sub volume is raised. The cable is in fact longer than it need be. I've checked the connecting plug at the sub end. Would shortening the cable (which I could do quite a lot) make a difference?

My storm 3 started giving hum. Service was required. A burnt resistor -common rel fault. Plus resevoir caps were bulging.
Serviced and sorted. The burnt resistor replaced and raised up off board as a hot transistor or something underneath.

Update: I shortened the cable drastically, so that it has a more-or-less straight run to the sub, which does seem to have done the trick. Later I did check the connections: in the high-level plug at the sub end the earth connection needed tightening up which was worth doing anyway, but in fact that didn't seem to be the source of the trouble. It's interesting that the excessively long speaker cable could pick up such interference: there is no such reference on the REL website, or their trouble-shooting advice, and yet it is such a basic thing. I wish I had known about it a long time ago. @Riotvan: the cable did come close to the power cable, and still does, but I have always kept them as far apart as poss.

advertisement

Back