advertisement

REL High Level & Naim Amp

With older Naim (e.g. olive) you need to connect at the speaker to prevent issues (similar idea to having to use low capacitance NACA4, NACA5, K20). I'm not sure about something newer like an XS2.

Anyway, if you wanted to connect at the speaker you'd get a different cable that has the three conductors loose so they can reach both speakers. A (+) to each speaker, and (-) to one speaker since negative is assumed to be common(?).

I'd imagine the spades you have are designed to be connected to 5-way binding posts. The Naim only has banana plug sockets on the amp.

I'd return that cable and get something cheaper like this: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/hll.htm

Then put some stacking banana connectors (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vimmor-Gold-plated-Self-locking-Stacking-Connector-Gold/dp/B07PRTNLMS) at the other end of the sub cable. Then you can connect at the amp or at the speaker.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For my subwoofer I just used a cheap cable like the one listed in the previous post, then wired that into the existing banana plugs at the amp end.

For my subwoofer I just used a cheap cable like the one listed in the previous post, then wired that into the existing banana plugs at the amp end.
Does that mean your sub has pass through filtering for the speakers, or do you mean you were able to stuff the speaker cable and the sub cable into the same banana plugs?

Does that mean your sub has pass through filtering for the speakers, or do you mean you were able to stuff the speaker cable and the sub cable into the same banana plugs?

The sub cable (one of those Speakon things at the sub end, but bare wires at the others) are just wired into the same banana plugs as the normal speaker cables at the amp end. The sub can also take a line input from an amp that has a sub outout (which is what I used to do when I used it with an AV amp) but my stereo amp doesn't have one of those.

Thanks for replies

The connections on my Moon amp were like this - with the sub mounting on the speaker connections (apols for photo quality!)

IMG_4245 by tricketts1, on Flickr

So, still a bit confused as to what to do...

Here's what I'd do:

1) sell your cable
2) buy one like the one I linked to
3) put stacking banana plugs on it
4) plug them into the amp output
5) plug your speakers into the stacking banana plugs

You could change the spades on your cable to stacking banana plugs, but IMO I don't think a sub cable needs to be so pricey, so you could sell it and get the cable I mentioned and pay someone to put the right connectors on it.

Simple question I guess, but Google couldn't answer

Trying to connect my REL T7 sub via
https://www.audiodestination.co.uk/audioquest-go-4-with-72v-dbs-hi-level-subwoofer-cable

to a Naim Nait XS2.

On my other amp the spades go over the terminals, but here the connection is not tight (there appears to be some idea of connecting to the speaker direct??)- how should I be connecting?

Advice appreciated
Give REL a call or email I am sure they will help.

The XS has normal Sub Out RCA sockets so you can use a normal sub cable like AV systems use - be simplest way.

REL do a Naim specific High Level cable (Bassline I think they call it). Not sure about the newer naim amps but I used to connect from REL to the speakers terminals using a 32.5/110, bit of a messy solution though, has 2 thin cables to 1 speaker both terminals and 1 thin cable to the other speaker just one terminal.

Gus

The low level connection isn't ideal, as you would be going from the amp's 2 channel RCA out to a single RCA input on the sub, so I would stick with the high level connection. You may have to use stacking banana plugs in place of the spades on the cable you have. Alternatively, if you are prepared to re-solder the plugs on your speaker cables, some bananas can take quite thick cables, and would allow you to solder both speaker cable and sub cable into the same plug, which would be a neater solution to my mind.

advertisement

Back