advertisement

regulator booster

Mike. I have not used any where heatsinks are needed. The heatsink you can see is part of the power supply regulation. I will probably leave those alone. There is a Trichord Clock 2 fitted. I am making a separate PS for it with a TeddyReg.

Rob.

Mike. I have not used any where heatsinks are needed. The heatsink you can see is part of the power supply regulation. I will probably leave those alone. There is a Trichord Clock 2 fitted. I am making a separate PS for it with a TeddyReg.

Rob.

It just looks like there is a reg sitting on the end of a piece of stripboard with just one tant cap on it, near the black heatsink. Whats that then? (I assumed it had a transistor on the back and thought it might be connected to the heatsink). I see the Trichord clock. I have a Trichord XO in my Cambridge 640 by the way, powered by a Flea.

Are you moving the transformer, bridge, and smoothing etc into a new PSU with a teddyreg as some kind of preregulator/filter? Like a Teddycap kinda thing?

What are you using as a DAC with this transport?

The reg to the left of the pic is the same as the others. It is a trick of the light or the camera, which obsures the transistor. I think I will build another flea to power the clock.

I used to use it with a 1st gen Dacmagic and an Isomagic (now dead). I now have one of the latest Dacmagic's.

I always thought that the 640v2 was a bit too "in your face", even when used as a transport. I haven't used it for some time, so I can't really say. I will give it a go and see.

I really like mine at the moment, but it has lots of mods now. It is certainly not a shy presentation but I like that. The mods have made it sound smoother/cleaner so the upfront presentation is more enjoyable. I find it dynamic and punchy yet able to do subtlety when required. Since doing the superregs and fitting the Muse KZ caps I've be very very pleased with the improvement. It used to make me fall asleep (with blackgates and no VBE on the DAC's) but lately I find I can just listen for ages without fatigue. Its great!

Replacing the main 4700uf supply caps with 10'000uf M-Lytics softened/warmed the sound a bit but the flipside was a slight loss of PRaT. I've thought about going to a middle ground of around 6800uF, or even going with 3 x 4700uf per rail in CRCRC arrangement. Currently I'm using 4700uF Panny FC. I'll probably experiment further with that after I've rebuilt the ZAP250i.

"DVDD must be equal to or less than the AVDD supply"

This can be accomplished by adding a 47K resistor between base and ground on the the digital reg.

So basically add 47k across the 3.3uF cap?

I assume this will pull down the output voltage a bit to ensure its less than the AVDD supply.

There's not really any 'increased performance' to be had, except greater current output.

Obviously driving more current output means more base current drive required for the pass transistor, hence more voltage drop due to this current passing through the R. If you are stuck for headroom, much beyond a few 10s of mA a Darlington or Sziklai-pair is more elegant ( I like the Sziklai, or complementary-feedback-pair because it's faster and since there's only 1 base-emitter junction in series with the output it also offers lower dropout voltage)

I have modded a Cambridge DiscMagic Transport and an Audio Innovations CD player (the Cambridge version) using the SuperRegulator.

I picked up the AA CD player at an audio jumble in "not working" condition (£20!). Got it working quite easily and was really impressed by the SQ. Have just replaced all the 7805s
with SRs and most of the 47uf caps with Nichicon Muse (bought in a group buy on PFM yonks ago) Well..... it sounds awesome now!! Happy Bunny now.

Hi Puffin.

Lets 'ave some pics then mate ;)

I found after the initial improvement of adding the SR's, that adding the Muse KZ really took it up another notch. It just became really coherent, everything seemed to 'gel' and started sounding very 'right'. I wonder if there's some kind of synergy with using the KZ cap's with the superregs? I would recommend this SR/KZ combo to anyone without hesitation :)

Ready to SReg the 640 yet?

We need to look into how a negative version SR is done too....

Can somebody reassure me that this schematic is correct for a negative reg booster please?

7905vbeschematic.png

Also a little help on the PNP transistor please:

I looked up the PNP equivalent of the 547C and found its the BC557. When I looked at the 557 datasheet I found there was diferent types:- 557C, 557B, etc..

What do these suffixes mean, are they just different pinouts? (The image in the datasheet only shows one pinout - CBE across the flat)

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Puffin.

Lets 'ave some pics then mate ;)

I found after the initial improvement of adding the SR's, that adding the Muse KZ really took it up another notch. It just became really coherent, everything seemed to 'gel' and started sounding very 'right'. I wonder if there's some kind of synergy with using the KZ cap's with the superregs? I would recommend this SR/KZ combo to anyone without hesitation :)

Ready to SReg the 640 yet?

We need to look into how a negative version SR is done too....

I'm having too much fun listening! Ohh alright then. Later.... off to work now.

Also a little help on the PNP transistor please:

I looked up the PNP equivalent of the 547C and found its the BC557. When I looked at the 557 datasheet I found there was diferent types:- 557C, 557B, etc..

What do these suffixes mean, are they just different pinouts? (The image in the datasheet only shows one pinout - CBE across the flat)

Thanks in advance! :)

They should all have the same pinout. The A,B and C refer to different ranges of hfe, with C being the greater hfe.

hFE A: 110 ~ 220 B: 200 ~ 450 C: 420 ~ 800

advertisement

Back