advertisement

Rega upgrades - Fidelity Designs ltd (33rpm engineering)

Mowgli

Pussy Lover
Hello,

Does any one have any experience with the Rega subplatters and bearings from Fidelity Designs? They trade as 33rpm engineering on the bay.
They are significantly cheaper than similar products from Groovetracer, Tangospinner and Isokinetik and im considering taking the plunge on their reference subplatter and bearing combo which comes in under £100, however, the old adage of you get what you pay for is holding me back.

Kind regards
Alun

considered this myself. not convinced either would make a noticeable difference though.
not saying i wont try one to find out at some point.
i , have gone with a new cart as first upgrade and am about to swap out my phono stage.
IF ,and i mean IF, you notice an improvement using the FD offering ,you will still wonder if the others add a further improvement (like me, which is why i have not bothered yet).

I also noticed an improvement with my Fidelity Design subplatter on my RP3, only regret that he doesn't (yet) offer a main bearing.

Better to buy the next Rega up in the range.
Have you heard the difference a sub-platter upgrade can make?

It’s significant and very cost effective. Most of the parts on a Rega deck are of very good quality for the money (including the bearing housing) but the plastic sub-platter is easily improved on.

The best VFM one I’ve tried is the Acoustand one, which is what I’m now using on my P5, can’t be beaten for £59 in my opinion, and the fit and finish is superb.

Have you heard the difference a sub-platter upgrade can make?

It’s significant and very cost effective. Most of the parts on a Rega deck are of very good quality for the money (including the bearing housing) but the plastic sub-platter is easily improved on.

The best VFM one I’ve tried is the Acoustand one, which is what I’m now using on my P5, can’t be beaten for £59 in my opinion, and the fit and finish is superb.

Thanks, I'd never heard of Acoustand, just had a quick look at the website, looks like a appealing option.

considered this myself. not convinced either would make a noticeable difference though.
not saying i wont try one to find out at some point.
i , have gone with a new cart as first upgrade and am about to swap out my phono stage.
IF ,and i mean IF, you notice an improvement using the FD offering ,you will still wonder if the others add a further improvement (like me, which is why i have not bothered yet).

raking up an old thread here.
well i did take the plunge and ordered a new ref sub-platter/bearing from Fidelity Design.
i have it here but have not had chance to instal it yet, hopefully this weekend.
i will say that Ben at FD is great to deal with and the sub platter does look and feel like a quality piece of engineering, so i am looking forward to it.

I have one of their delrin sub platters and bearings in my RP6. So much more aesthetically pleasing than the kludgy plastic/aluminium sandwich Rega supplied it with, even though it is invisible in use;)

I've been using the FD subplatter and bearing for six months now on my P3, along with acrylic platter. Good value I reckon, and would endorse the sentiments already expressed about Ben being good to deal with.

he does now!
Ah, thanks for the info, oldson, I'll have a look. I've been wondering about my next upgrade, whether or invest in a P6, as I have the CD subplatter so just be getting closer, but a new P6 would still offer a real upgrade, even keeping my MP200 cart.

Used his bearing, sub and main platter on my DIY build from last year, really impressed with the workmanship and it was all a great price. Really happy with how the deck turned out to be honest.

A friend of mine upgraded his Planar 3 with a brace, alloy sub-platter, and Neo power supply. He was happy with the results. A couple of years later I sold him an Aroston RD11s which he fitted the Rega arm to. This sounded a lot better than his modified Planar 3 and cost him about half the money.

Rega turntables are not designed to be modular. Sure, upgrading bits of them can bring improvements but they'll always be limited.

A friend of mine upgraded his Planar 3 with a brace, alloy sub-platter, and Neo power supply. He was happy with the results. A couple of years later I sold him an Aroston RD11s which he fitted the Rega arm to. This sounded a lot better than his modified Planar 3 and cost him about half the money.

Rega turntables are not designed to be modular. Sure, upgrading bits of them can bring improvements but they'll always be limited.

Your friend must have really bodged up that poor Rega.

Ben makes very high quality parts. A friend had a Townshend Rock 2 main platter made a year or two ago, and was very pleased with it. I have an example of his carbon-fibre LP12 subchassis and armboard and one of the Rega platters- also very nicely done.

advertisement

Back