advertisement

Rega RS Tweeter Question

tdiddey

pfm Member
Hey:

Does anyone know whether the new Rega RS teeters can be
used in the previous R series speaks without major changes.
I've got r7's which I like but the high end could be tamed
a bit(even with tube gear Prima Luna 4 amp and Rose CV23 pre). Thanks in advance for the help.

Tdiddey

The Tweeters in the R7's are different to the R1/3/5's, they were a Scan Speak unit rather than the Rega one. I believe that the new RS range (inc RS7) use the new Rega unit.
A change from the R7's Scan Speak unit to the New Rega one would need considerable change to the crossover IMO.

Hi,
what about the sound before and after changing the tweeter.
I have asked to analogueseduction.net. They told me that I could take the new one for my Rega R7.
But I would like if the tonal balance would be the same.
thanks

A change from the R7's Scan Speak unit to the New Rega one would need considerable change to the crossover IMO.

Do they have a crossover? I thought my old R5' didn't have a crossover. Not to sure about the RS range. Unless they only have a crossover for the tweeter and not the front and side drivers.

Yes the RS7 have a crossover.
I could see on Signals HiFi website that the second RS7 version comes with a new crossover.

All the rega speakers have a crossover, the reason you may think that they do not, is that the side firing drivers have a natural roll off due to the voice coil inductance and no crossover components. This applies to the R3, R5 and R7 (possibly R9) and the RS versions. The Mid-Bass and Tweeter have crossovers on those models like the R1 (RS1).

So if I change for new tweeter ( they don't sell anymore the old ones) do I need to modify the R7 crossover?

I would have thought you would, the Rega HF20-ZRR tweeter is likely to be quite different to the Scan-Speak model in the R7's. (IIRC, the Scanspeak tweeter was the D2008/8512)

Scan do different versions of this tweeter. I'd be inclined to use the ferro-fluid one that Spendor and proAc used (from memory) as this should sound smoother than the chrome plated thing that Naim, Rega and Linn used, which takes off at 8 - 9kHz and puts a sparkle into dull old Rega cartridges (Apheta excepted).

Just my opinion, but that undamped Scan unit should have been strangled decades ago IMO :)

Hey:

I'm the original poster on this. I replaced the PrimaLuna amp/Mogami with Rega Exxon 3's and Rega Quattrospeaker cable. Problem solved. Also In my room the R7's
like to be closer to the rear wall than most folks try to place them. But this seems to be true of Rega speakers in general. Typical audiophile setup of "out in the room" doesn't seem to do them justice. I changed the amps due to the fact I just didn't care for the PL amp. I mention the speaker positioning becasue it's cheaper and less hassle and $ than replacing the tweeter.

I agree with you but one of my tweeter is broken because of children's fingers... so I would like to choose the best for my R7.
I was very happy with my speakers.

I agree with you but one of my tweeter is broken because of children's fingers... so I would like to choose the best for my R7.
I was very happy with my speakers.

You essentially have two options.

a) Contact the manufacturer see what they recommend as a replacement.

b) Pull out the tweeter and hope that it has the actual drive unit manufacturer on it, (most units are off the shelf from the likes of SEAS, Morel etc), then either contact said manufacturer directly to see if you can obtain an identical replacement or try and find it's specifications on line and find another unit with as close as you can match a specification. Specifically checking the resonance frequency and sensitivity. The impedance curve is likely to get messed up so it's a bit it "suck it and see", but you're not going to be in a position to start altering the cross over unless you know what you're doing and have the required measuring gear.

I emailed Rega yesterday.. Not a dealer, but directly to Rega in UK... I was thinking doing the trick/upgrade myself... I can see some says yes and some says no if its possible to do and if its an upgrade...
So wanted an answer from Rega.. If anyone should now its the manufacturer of the speaker :)

Here is the answer:

"Hi xxxxxxxxx,

No the ZRR tweeter wouldn’t fit in the RS7. The R7 used a Scanspeak tweeter (which was very, very good) and the crossover is tuned to that particular unit and has a slightly different size cut out. If you changed it it would also require the crossover to be changed and I would imagine it would be a downgrade!

All the best
xxxx"

So according to Rega themself its not an upgrade to put in the RS ZRR tweeter...

advertisement

Back