advertisement

Rega RP8 Not Spinning

My RP8 is not well. When turned on either the motor does not spin or it spins for a few seconds and stalls. During the stall, the motor appears to be hunting very slightly backwards and forwards as if it is trying to decide which way it should go. I checked this with the platter and belts off.

Power supply, original RP8 controller or motor problem? How can I go about diagnosing?

I've owned it for three and a half years. Not sure how long the previous owner had it.

That’s almost certainly a failed or failing phase on the TT-PSU, I’m sure Rega will fix it for you.

That’s almost certainly a failed or failing phase on the TT-PSU, I’m sure Rega will fix it for you.
I'm not sure that TT-PSU handles motor phase. Rega describes the unit as providing a stable 24V at two synthesized AC frequencies (50/60Hz for 33.3RPM and 67.5/81Hz for 45RPM, i.e. Standard/Special versions); these output via DIN PD-40S 4-pin to the turntable's 'anti-vibration circuit' PCB with 24VAC on pins 1 and 2, and zero or 21VDC between pins 4 and 5, the latter in order to switch the relay on the motor PCB between the 33.3 and 45RPM phase circuits.

Not that there isn't necessarily a fault in the TT-PSU vs. on the 'anti-vibration circuit' board within the deck, however, I wonder if Paul D's earlier suggestion to press the speed selector switch on/off circa 20 times, also gives the relay some needed exercise?

I'm not sure that TT-PSU handles motor phase. Rega describes the unit as providing a stable 24V at two synthesized AC frequencies (50/60Hz for 33.3RPM and 67.5/81Hz for 45RPM, i.e. Standard/Special versions); these output via DIN PD-40S 4-pin to the turntable's 'anti-vibration circuit' PCB with 24VAC on pins 1 and 2, and zero or 21VDC between pins 4 and 5, the latter in order to switch the relay on the motor PCB between the 33.3 and 45RPM phase circuits.

Not that there isn't necessarily a fault in the TT-PSU vs. on the 'anti-vibration circuit' board within the deck, however, I wonder if Paul D's earlier suggestion to press the speed selector switch on/off circa 20 times, also gives the relay some needed exercise?
Ah, you may be right, I wasn’t sure of the pin out configuration. I’m just going on my dealers advice from when my MK2 TT PSU failed about two and a half years ago, my deck behaved in a similar manner.

advertisement

Back