advertisement

rega RB1000 Isokinetik

puddlesplasher

pfm Member
I have an original Rega P9 which is fitted with a RB900 and was wondering if it was worth changing to the Rega RB1000. Is it an improvement or not? Also I noticed that Isokinetik do a Iso1000 which is suppose to be a rebranded Rega 1000 but sells for about £300 less. Again is that an improvment over the RB900 and how do the Rega and Isokinetik compare . Does anyone out there know.

I didn't really like the original P9, but thought the revamped one so good that I sold my LP12/Aro for it. The arm seemed to make the biggest difference - although I'm not sure what the physical difference between the 900 and the 1000 are.

FWIW, the Isokinetic has had some v good reviews. I have their counterweight (the low slung one), but actually prefer the Rega tungsten counterweight. Other than that, they seem to be exactly the same...

Either Iso are selling at a low margin, or something about the Rega version is better necessitating a higher price. Rega have claimed that one of the main factors in the cost of the RB1000 is manufacture time. This is higher than for other Rega arms because the tolerance levels for the base parts, bearings and adjustment are tighter.

Perhaps Iso and other 3rd parties get a lower tolerance version which can be offered at a lower cost.

You'll really have to ask Rega and trust their answer.
You could try asking Rega's Paul Darwin who posts here occasionally.

To the OP, there isn't going to be an answer since I seriously doubt you'll find anyone who has reliably compared those on the same P9. The differences are going to be very small indeed where the same cartridge is used.

In this position I would stick with the RB900. Were the newer arm a fundamentally different design then I might consider a change. But it isn't - its a small variation to an already fine arm.
If however, the cost is irrelevant then just buy the RB1000 because it looks a bit better, is better made around the base and on balance won't be any worse :)

I have heard that Isokinetik buy in bulk and so get a better price but have also heard that the Iso is a reworked RB700.

Thanks for that Tim. Is there any differences between the original and existing P9 power supplies other than the case design.

The bases and bias arrangements are different, plus the 700 has a coated tube so I doubt that would be the case. My money is on RB1000 mechanics with less QC selection.

QC and Hifi equipment, whats that when its at home?

Perhaps go for a Audiomods arm, far more engineering for similar or less money.

Happy with mine on a Orbe with Lyra Delos cart.

Avonessence

I have the Series IV arm, there is a Series V which I have seen pictures of but don't what the differences are. If you live in london or close bye your welcome to have a listen.

I have heard that Isokinetik buy in bulk and so get a better price but have also heard that the Iso is a reworked RB700.

Thanks for that Tim. Is there any differences between the original and existing P9 power supplies other than the case design.

No, I don't think so, other than the fact, as you say, that the early P9 supplies were in the old-style clamshell casings. They're basically power amps designed to output very stably at a specific frequency to avoid motor vibration

Avonessence

I have the Series IV arm, there is a Series V which I have seen pictures of but don't what the differences are. If you live in london or close bye your welcome to have a listen.

Thanks for the offer.

Unfortunately I am up in the North West.

advertisement

Back