advertisement

Rega PSU (P3/50th Anniversary Edition)

Dalkadiaris

good afternoon all,

I purchased within the last few days a Rega Planar 3, 50th Anniversary Edition to replace my old p3/24 which I subsequently gave away to a family member for Christmas.
I plugged all in accordingly and the issue within seconds was the PSU. It lit up initially, checked for both RED and Green all worked, the platter spun. All appeared well however I switched all off to get my record prepared for play, set it up nicely and as I hit the magic switch on the PSU - nout, no power, no colours, no options, no record spinning no anything.

I have tried various plugs, I have tried to re-cable everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Naturally I feel deflated :( I had read in another page forum for a similar matter to approach REGA (I live in London) however can not locate an email address.

thank you, and Merry Christmas to you all. Above all stay well and safe and enjoy the festive season.

No point in trying to contact Rega directly, very difficult to find a contact, and it is the responsibility of the dealer you bought the turntable from to fix it, or change for another.

Neo does have resettable fuses within the driver amplifier stage which are intended to protect the device from over-current faults. These are unlikely to be the cause of the problem here as the PS will still power up, only the deck ends up running "erratically or not at all".

The most likely cause of trouble here is unplugging the power supply from the deck whilst it is still turned on. The warning in the manual should be on page 1 in large font (perhaps on a yellow warning sticker atop the supply too).

WARNINGS​
ENGLISH​
Do not unplug the power supply from the​
turntable whilst the unit is on. Turn off​
the power supply before unplugging. Do​
not operate the power supply without the​
turntable connected. A 24 V AC plus a 20 V​
DC signal is present on the pins of the plug. If​
these are shorted, it will cause damage to the​
power unit. Use only with the supplied Rega​
PS1 power supply. Never expose the unit to​
rain or moisture. Do not open the case covers.​
There are no user serviceable parts inside.​
The Neo incorporates resettable fuses in the​
driver amplifier to protect it from overcurrent​
faults, which will cause the turntable to​
run erratically or not at all. If in the rare​
circumstance these are activated, they are​
reset by turning off the Neo via the front​
panel for approximately 10 seconds. If the​
fault should persist, consult your dealer.​

good afternoon all,

I purchased within the last few days a Rega Planar 3, 50th Anniversary Edition to replace my old p3/24 which I subsequently gave away to a family member for Christmas.
I plugged all in accordingly and the issue within seconds was the PSU. It lit up initially, checked for both RED and Green all worked, the platter spun. All appeared well however I switched all off to get my record prepared for play, set it up nicely and as I hit the magic switch on the PSU - nout, no power, no colours, no options, no record spinning no anything.

I have tried various plugs, I have tried to re-cable everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Naturally I feel deflated :( I had read in another page forum for a similar matter to approach REGA (I live in London) however can not locate an email address.

thank you, and Merry Christmas to you all. Above all stay well and safe and enjoy the festive season.
I had the PS1 wallwart/transformer fail on my P8. Did your old P3 have a 24VAC wallwart you could try.

I had the PS1 wallwart/transformer fail on my P8. Did your old P3 have a 24VAC wallwart you could try.
Be careful here, as Neo requires PS1 350mA power supply, whereas, the P1, P2, P3 decks come with PS2 100mA. Neo will draw more current than PS2 can supply, causing this to melt in very short order.

If in doubt, heed the warning out back.

WARNING!​
(AUS/NZ/UK/EU/US)​
Use only with Rega 350mA power supply PS1​

Last edited:
Thank you all.
I will contact the dealer.
Will update in due course.
Good idea.

I was going to suggest trying PS1 directly into the back of your new 50th Anniversary Edition, but then I remembered that, unlike standard Planar 3 this is Neo only (i.e. same 'zero vibration' circuit/PCB and motor pulley as Planar 6). Regardless, I am confident that your Rega dealer will get yours sorted ASAP.

rega-planar-3-50th-anniversary-turntable.jpg

No point in trying to contact Rega directly, very difficult to find a contact, and it is the responsibility of the dealer you bought the turntable from to fix it, or change for another.
That's a shame, I expected better as every other English hifi company I've dealt with is very easy and prompt with contacts

That's a shame, I expected better as every other English hifi company I've dealt with is very easy and prompt with contacts
Considering that Rega sell to more countries worldwide than most, it makes perfect sense that they expect their dealers to provide triage service. Rega provide access to a slick dealers only service website which helps save a lot of unnecessary expense shipping product back to HQ, especially so, when many product issues turn out to be easily solvable (or prove to be customer issues).

Some on here will be old enough to remember Rega slipping the odd coloured plinth Planar 3 into a box marked 'black' in order to catch dealers out who didn't set the deck up for the customer. This, and providing front line service have always been part of the contract. IOW, Rega has the most efficient sales and service network in the world.

That’s such a shame, but it’s an electrical component and these things happen. Be rest assured it will get sorted right away though, the dealer may even just swap the NEO out for a brand new 1 rather then sending it back to Rega for repair.

Last Christmas morning, I went to put a new record on (it was a present) and after a few seconds I had no sound. After some head scratching it was the phono stage at fault which was brand new a week or so beforehand.

This is clearly a dealer issue, but I had a question about a very old Planar 2 I was considering reviving and asked Rega a question on Twitter, had a response within an hour.

There is a dealer network for a reason, if (well, whenever) your Tesla breaks down you don't phone Tesla you contact your dealer. Ditto your TV, dishwasher. Rega didn't sell you the deck the dealer did and that dealer is front line support. Bizarre to expect otherwise. Now, if the dealer lets you down...

Uhm. I'll add "in the context of niche hifi companies with a hundred employees"

In the world lol
Yes, obviously within that context.

"In the world" is based on Rega having distributors and dealers in 60 countries (Linn do 50).

if (well, whenever) your Tesla breaks down you don't phone Tesla you contact your dealer.
You don't actually. You request a service on the Tesla app on your phone and, if you need to go to a service centre, you choose the one you prefer on the app.

This is clearly a dealer issue, but I had a question about a very old Planar 2 I was considering reviving and asked Rega a question on Twitter, had a response within an hour.

There is a dealer network for a reason, if (well, whenever) your Tesla breaks down you don't phone Tesla you contact your dealer. Ditto your TV, dishwasher. Rega didn't sell you the deck the dealer did and that dealer is front line support. Bizarre to expect otherwise. Now, if the dealer lets you down...
It is a dealer issue and had he bought it from me, or most others, he could have had a replacement power supply same day.

advertisement

Back