advertisement

Rega Plannar 3 refurb....

Well, it is a funky finosh...however, it has let me down today. Buyer travelled a fair distance to collect, it had been playing perfectly all morning then just started to slow down. Had to apologise after feeling extremely embarrassed. Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to the motor pulley slipping on the spindle. Any ideas what I can do to address it in a way to call an acceptable repair to allows me to sell it with confidence. Shame, as it wipes the floor with my project RPM5.1.
I had this once. With the pulley off (it came off with no resistance), I put a drop of superglue on top of the spindle and replaced said pulley. Job done.

I had this once. With the pulley off (it came off with no resistance), I put a drop of superglue on top of the spindle and replaced said pulley. Job done.

Yeah, it's a fairly common problem but a little drop of glue will fit it.

Well, it is a funky finosh...however, it has let me down today. Buyer travelled a fair distance to collect, it had been playing perfectly all morning then just started to slow down. Had to apologise after feeling extremely embarrassed. Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to the motor pulley slipping on the spindle. Any ideas what I can do to address it in a way to call an acceptable repair to allows me to sell it with confidence. Shame, as it wipes the floor with my project RPM5.1.
With pre-2000 none adhesive pad mounted motors, Rega's official 'Refitting the motor pulley' service page describes removing the motor from the deck, separating the motor mounting plate from the motor (by stretching the O-ring over either end of the plate), and then cleaning the spindle shaft with solvent, and letting dry, prior to placing one (1) drop of Loctite 496 down one side of the pulley hole, not onto the spindle.

WARNING: Placing adhesive onto the spindle instead will have the pulley forcing the liquid down into the top motor bearing sleeve with disastrous results (as might putting more than 1 drop of adhesive into the pulley first - see below).

The primary reasons for removing the motor from the deck (and the mounting plate from the motor) are; 1) the bottom end of the motor spindle need be supported on a firm surface whilst pressing the pulley firmly down into position, else risk motor damage, 2) placing too much force upon a suspended motor will stretch or break the suspension O-ring and possibly crack the laminate of the plinth round the holes, and 3) Rega provided to dealers a motor pulley spacer tool to help ensure correct pulley height for proper belt travel, this can only be used with the motor out and the suspension plate removed.

Having performed this repair a number of times, it is possible to simply remove the bottom motor cover and support the exposed spindle end of the in-situ motor upon a suitable thickness block of hardwood, such that downward pressure from above neither stretches the O-ring nor applies undue force upon the motor or plinth laminate. This eliminates the possibility of using the pulley spacer tool, however, an alternative method of achieving reasonable pulley height in situ isn't difficult to arrive at. For example, with the old style pulley removed, the upper edge of the spacer tool can be seen to be flush with the end of the motor spindle extension. With this pulley the spacer is positioned such that the underside of the flange of the 45RPM pulley diameter ends up butting against the top of the tool, with the remainder of the pulleys smaller diameter enclosing the spindle beneath. As such, we can conclude that the 45RPM diameter sits immediately above the spindle end (at least with the old pulley and motors).

As to the specific method of applying the adhesive; from Rega:

"Holding the pulley as illustrated* apply ONE drop of Loctite 496 only, as shown. Note: If too much adhesive is used it will be pushed out of the joint and can result in the motor bearing becoming glued." [emphasis Rega's]​

* the illustration shows the pulley upside down at a 45º angle with one droplet of oil just hitting the one side. It is very important to have the spindle perfectly clean and dry first.

P.S. Make sure that it is Loctite 496, everything else is shite.

Last edited:
Having superglued a Rega motor together due to incautious use of sticky stuff, I would concur with the above advice...

advertisement

Back