advertisement

Rega Planar 8 is Legit Excellent Turntable

DimitryZ

pfm Member
I just got mine to sit alongside P9. I am very impressed - great tonal quality, PRAT, depth of image and speed stability. With Nag MP-300 it rivals P9/Orto Jubilee. I hesitate to call a $2000 turntable a bargain but this Rega comes close.

Easy to setup, of course. The looks are in the eye of the beholder - I like it, but others may disagree. However, it is very compact, so whatever cosmetic issues there are - it's a small table.

I prefer the Achromat to the stock felt. This is system dependent - brighter systems will prefer felt - smooth and deep.

The bottom line is - if you can spend $2k on a table - which is a lot of money - this one is an excellent investment.

Dimitry,

I agree. The Planar 8 is an excellent table, and a real audio bargain considering how cheap it is relative to other high-end tables.

Joe

Why on earth have you bought a P8, new, when you already own a P9? I can see the point in buying a Notts, or a VPI, or a Linn, or (insert brand here) but $2k for a slightly less good version of what you already have seems bizarre. Had you bought a vintage item, Lenco, Thorens, AR, that I could understand too.

Why on earth have you bought a P8, new, when you already own a P9? I can see the point in buying a Notts, or a VPI, or a Linn, or (insert brand here) but $2k for a slightly less good version of what you already have seems bizarre. Had you bought a vintage item, Lenco, Thorens, AR, that I could understand too.
One never stops being amazed at new ways of being attacked...

I like turntables. I have six now and it took me many years to find them and organize my system around them. I have two identical Sony Biotracer front loading decks, Sony PS-B80, PS-X600 (both pivot arm Biotracers, but the B80 auto-balances carts, making changes a breeze). On the modern side I have an original P9 (small plinth surround) and now a newest Planar 8.

It is great to listen to the same record, or to four sides of a dual album on different tables or with different cartridges.

One never stops being amazed at new ways of being attacked...
Who is attacking you? Certainly not me. I'm questioning your choices. That's hardly an attack. If you want a houseful of turntables, great. It's your house and your hobby, you are entitled to do as you like. People are still entitled to ask you why.

Who is attacking you? Certainly not me. I'm questioning your choices. That's hardly an attack. If you want a houseful of turntables, great. It's your house and your hobby, you are entitled to do as you like. People are still entitled to ask you why.
You sound both resentful and arrogant at the same time.

I would love to own several cool vintage cars, but thats not in the cards in my income bracket. However, i wouldn't question a rich collector's choice of owning a Corvette from both 1970 and this year, nor would I begrudge it. It would be very cool!

You sound both resentful and arrogant at the same time.
I'm neither.

I would love to own several cool vintage cars, but thats not in the cards in my income bracket. However, i wouldn't question a rich collector's choice of owning a Corvette from both 1970 and this year, nor would I begrudge it. It would be very cool!
I don't begrudge you anything, or anyone else for that matter. I've got what I want for hifi, and I've got a garage full of bicycles. If you or anyone else wants to ask me why the hell I have 5 or 6 bikes and bits from another 2 when I can only ride one at a time, ask away.

I'm neither.

I don't begrudge you anything, or anyone else for that matter. I've got what I want for hifi, and I've got a garage full of bicycles. If you or anyone else wants to ask me why the hell I have 5 or 6 bikes and bits from another 2 when I can only ride one at a time, ask away.
I really don't ask strangers about their purchasing choices. I had bikes too...gave away two...still have two.

I have a question!

Why not sell the six turntables and buy one decent one?

I’d also question anyones ability to discern prat who prefers an achromat over felt.

advertisement

Back