advertisement

Rega Planar 3 late 80s or 90s version earth grounding?

retseldrib

pfm Member
Finally got around to rearranging the hifi rack and got my old Rega Planar TT out of the loft. I don’t have a phono -preamp anymore but will be getting one asap.

I seem to remember back in the day that my TT had an grounding lead??? Perhaps it was my dual TT with pitch control that had this? Anyway, there’s not one of the Rega - is this correct??

Thanks

Lester

Thanks for this; starting to get faint memories of not having the grounding cable now but the explanation is new to me!

Really looking forward to hearing this.

Yes, LH channel -ve (blue wire) is internally connected to both tonearm tube and arm pillar metal.

What phono cartridge does the Planar have on? A used Rega Fono MM (2011 version) makes for a great buy. Also, the Cambridge Audio 540P was a good starter model. Depending upon your cartridge, one or the other of the these would make for a better match, loading wise.

It has a MM and the cartridge has RESON written on it. I’m going to get the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM preamp from Richer sounds. - £59 just to get me going.

At this stage its just a bit of nostalgic fun and my music room is jam packed so only have room for around maybe 100 LPs. Hadn’t realised you could buy used MM cartridges!

Sorry, I should have been more clear; Rega Fono MM is a MM pre-amp. The Phono Box MM is a fine choice too.

Your Reson cartridge is an OEM made by Goldring. Reson is the brand (Swiss or German, and once associated with DNM in the UK) and there were (are?) two MM models; Mica and Reca, differing by choice of stylus profile (vdH II vs. FG S). Reviews at the time had either down as better than Goldring's own top model MM, G1042.

You should rebalance the tonearm, and make sure that VTF is set to circa 1.6g, with AS set to approx. 2/3rd that amount.

P.S. Apparently Reson are still at it. Found this spec sheet on Dropbox.

Last edited:
You should rebalance the tonearm, and make sure that VTF is set to circa 1.7g, with AS set to approx. 2/3rd that amount.

Don't know how too nor do I understand the rest of the instructions o_O :) Sorry, I've been away from the TT/ vinyl scene since shortly after CDs came out along with the original Arcam alpha player!

Can you help break it down possibly?

Is this the REGAS preamp with USB?? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=324215003997

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
From Rega's RB-300 Instruction Manual:

Cartridge tracking force adjustment

1. Ensure that the tracking force adjustment knob is set to the zero position.

2. With the cartridge permanently fitted in the correct position adjust the main balance weight so that the arm is “floating” with the stylus just 1mm clear of a record. (This adjustment should be made with the anti-skating knob to zero. Note: Even at zero there will be some small residual anti-skating force. Therefore it may also be necessary to gently touch the arm bearing carrier to stop the arm moving out- wards).

3. Rotate the tracking force adjustment knob to the required tracking force. If in doubt it is usually advisable to use a tracking force that corresponds with the upper limits of the cartridge manufacturer’s range.
Anti - Skating (bias) adjustment

Set the bias adjustment knob to the same number as the tracking force. Note: This is not critical and a figure of 1-1.5g will normally be suitable for moving magnet cartridges and 1.5-2g for most moving coil cartridges.​

NOTES: (From me regarding the numbered points above)

Cartridge tracking force adjustments

1. The tracking force adjustment knob is the calibrated black dial that is positioned on the RH side of the arm carrier/pivot.

2. Let's assume that the cartridge is permanently fitted in the correct position for now. The main balance weight out back isn't threaded, however, turning it whilst pushing or pulling slightly works well enough for fine tuning. If the arm leans downward too much up front, the weight needs to go back further. Too high up front and the weight need go forward a smidge.

3. Dial in 1.6g on the tracking force knob for the Reson.​

Anti - Skating (bias) adjustment

The bias adjustment knob is the small round button positioned just aft of the arm rest cradle on the arm rest outrigger platform beneath the tonearm tube. This is what must be set to zero whilst balancing the tonearm, as per Rega's step 2 above.​

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back