advertisement

Rega P9 Power Supply

Lapdog

pfm Member
Would anyone know what the faceplate, on the Rega P9 power supply is made of (plastic or metal)?

Not fond of plastic.

Regards,
Brian

It's not plastic. The box is very solid and rather heavy. I wish it was a nice half-width box, like Brio-R's. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to matter much to the sound where you put it.

Thanks guys, just wanted to know if Rega splurged on the faceplate on their top models: Elicit, Ios, etc.

The plastic on the Cursa3, and Exon3 looks kinda cheap.

Have a great weekend,
Brian

Actually only early Cursa3 / Maia3 / Exon3 / P9 power supply have plastic facias.

Later versions all had the alloy ones .

Saturn , Elicit , Ios have only had the alloy facia.

So if buying s/h best to check . There are a couple of easy to spot differences.

AFAIK.

Michael.

I was told by Rega that they don't have any plastic faceplates in production anymore. I have an old phono stage (Eos?) with a three piece plastic faceplate and one of the pieces are missing and no replacement available :(

I bought a P9 in 2011 and the faceplate is definitely an alloy of some sort. As Klyde points out the entire casing is solid and impressive. .

I actually think it looks and feels nicer than the casework and facias on my naim boxes. I was actually toying with the idea of getting an Ios phono stage so was disappointed to see it has now been 'upgraded' to the Reference casework, as has the price...

Actually only early Cursa3 / Maia3 / Exon3 / P9 power supply have plastic facias.

Later versions all had the alloy ones .

Saturn , Elicit , Ios have only had the alloy facia.

So if buying s/h best to check . There are a couple of easy to spot differences.

AFAIK.

Michael.

My P9 PSU must be one of the earlier models as it has the plastic facia but the IOS is the alloy version. I did wonder if all the new casework is now alloy as it's a big improvement in looks and feel over the plastic ones.

Very impressed with Rega's recent caseworking. The reference stuff is in another league again - as are the prices!

I bought a P9 in 2011 and the faceplate is definitely an alloy of some sort. As Klyde points out the entire casing is solid and impressive. .

I actually think it looks and feels nicer than the casework and facias on my naim boxes. I was actually toying with the idea of getting an Ios phono stage so was disappointed to see it has now been 'upgraded' to the Reference casework, as has the price...

Hello King Size, I think Rega is still selling both models of the Ios. I wasn't aware that one was discontinued.

Regards,
Brian

I don’t know if Rega will be phasing out their entire classic range (Saturn, Ios, Elicit), but it would be a same if they did. Aren't they aware that it takes time for their customer to save for an upgrade or addition?

Example: a customer just bought a Saturn, and would like to add a matching Elicit in a year or two, but cannot because Rega decided to replaced the range by different models and look.

Frustrating,
Brian

I don’t know if Rega will be phasing out their entire classic range (Saturn, Ios, Elicit), but it would be a same if they did. Aren't they aware that it takes time for their customer to save for an upgrade or addition?

Example: a customer just bought a Saturn, and would like to add a matching Elicit in a year or two, but cannot because Rega decided to replaced the range by different models and look.

Frustrating,
Brian

Applying that logic, how is any manufacturer ever supposed/allowed to update their range?

It's too big that P9 PSU box.
It only supplies clean AC to a small motor.
Stick it inside a Brio R box.

IIRC it was a modified Rega power amplifier with an clean oscillator on the front and adapted to drive the motor load, so perhaps it was more cost effective to adapt an existing product.

Nevertheless it would be nice to see something new and smaller for the next range topper TT.

Naim seems to do just fine ... even expanding their product line with the same look.

Buy a CDX2 ... want to add a power supply ... not a problem because you have different options available: XP5 XS, XPS or 555, and they look the same.

Regards,
Brian

Why not have the 3 ranges: entry level (new Rega smaller box), classic range (Elicit, Ios, etc), and top level (Osiris, Isis, etc).

It would be a shame the you invest in a Osiris, only to find out 2 - 3 years latter that it’s been replaced by a different model / look.

Regards,
Brian

Naim seems to do just fine ... even expanding their product line with the same look.

Buy a CDX2 ... want to add a power supply ... not a problem because you have different options available: XP5 XS, XPS or 555, and they look the same.

Regards,
Brian

Sure, but your point was about changing the look, not about having concurrent similar styles, which is exactly what Naim did when they moved from olive to the current style.

It's too big that P9 PSU box.
It only supplies clean AC to a small motor.
Stick it inside a Brio R box.

IIRC it was a modified Rega power amplifier with an clean oscillator on the front and adapted to drive the motor load, so perhaps it was more cost effective to adapt an existing product.

Nevertheless it would be nice to see something new and smaller for the next range topper TT.

I think the size is fine if you have the IOS phono as they match visually.

advertisement

Back