advertisement

Rega P7 - opinions?

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
As I am in the process of downgrading my set-up, I wonder how much I will miss if I swop my SME 10 turntable for a Rega P7 and put my Kuzma Stogi arm on it with a Denon 103D?

Obviously I would get money as well as the Rega P7 for the SME 10.

I wonder how much I will miss if I swop my SME 10 turntable for a Rega P7 and put my Kuzma Stogi arm on it with a Denon 103D?

No experience of the P7 (or the SME) but I'm a long term satisfied P9 user. Can't see any gain from faffing with the P7 imo. Keep it standard and add a new (white) belt, Rega MC and maybe a Neo PSU at a later date.

Just learned that the tonearm is a Rega RB300 not the standard RB700. I don't have any use for the tonearm so would look to sell it. So not as good a deal then.

Your Kuzma Stogi tonearm would not fit on a Rega P7 without modification, the Kuzma has a 212mm mounting distance where as the Rega is 222mm.

It’s a real shame that it doesn’t have the RB700, I’ve never understood why people would separate the original arm from a deck like the P7, they’re perfect partners. The RB700 is (unsurprisingly) a step up from the RB300.

With Rega decks it is an extremely bad idea to change the arm out as it slashes the value of the deck.

With Rega decks it is an extremely bad idea to change the arm out as it slashes the value of the deck.
Yes, big time. I’d quite like a P7, but I wouldn’t entertain one without the RB700 unless it was very cheap, I’d have to find another RB700 to put on it (I’d consider sticking an RB1000 on if I could find one cheap enough). I have a P5 but I couldn’t bring myself to relieve it of its RB700. I had another P5 with a Michell Technoarm... I kept the one with the RB700.

Well, it does have an RB700 arm, after all. The seller checked. I would have to sell the Kuzma Stogi then.

So many seem to make so called "upgrades" to their Rega decks
Some of these may provide gains but surely reduced resale-value.

Never really liked the P7 looks, perhaps its the weird platter.
I'm sure its a nice player though.

In fact I hope Rega will move on from their current rather"Bling gloss" looks to a more classic look in future.
I have owned P1, P3 and latest RP8.
I really like their performance but no way I would buy latest P8/10 with such a lid.

I don''t understand.. you spent ages acquiring the SME 10 and modifying it to take the Stogi arm and you now have a first class deck. I respect that it is your decision and you may have good reasons but why on earth do you want to downgrade?

I had a P7 for a few years (now have an RP8). I think it's about the most underrated deck that Rega made, probably because no-one cared for the tooth-like ceramic blobs. However I always thought it was a bit disappointing when Rega abandoned ceramic on the 2nd tier turntables. The RP8 is better, mainly because of the plinth and the arm - the RB808 (now the 880 I think) is certainly better than the RB700, but that is a good arm anyway. The more recent cabling is very much improved.
As has been said, fitting a non-Rega arm to a Rega deck is pretty pointless. One thing you can do relatively inexpensively, however, is upgrade the PSU - the P7 came with the old TTPSU mk1. The Neo is in a different league and will also allow fine-tuning of the speed. I'd love to hear my old P7 with a Neo - I also had a Dynavector 17D3 on it which made for a very dynamic sound. That would be preferable in some ways to an SME....

Thanks for the information. Very helpful as always.
I would like to keep the Kuzma Stogi arm so I think I will let the Rega P7 pass.

Is that a fair price with the cart? Not that I need a cartridge. There is one for sale locally at 6500 DKK = £770 without a cartridge.

advertisement

Back