advertisement

Rega P6 cartridge recommendations

AT OC9XSL or exact if they were the same price? Just for curiosity sake.

The OC9XSL is a great cartridge. It's super clean, very detailed, fast and musical. I'm happy with it. However, the Exact has better body and stronger tonality. Notes really hit home. It's not very musical for its price it's very musical, period. My only gripe is that it looks like a toy.

It depends on your priorities. I like both AT carts and the Exact but they are different.

If you like the AT95 I'd go with a better Audio Technica MM cartridge. Should be linear, predictable upgrade, more of the same. The better body lets you use their SLC stylus profile and it's amazing.

It may be worth upgrading to the VM540ML but skip the 740 metal body as i doesn't add much to the sound. But maybe get it mounted in the metal body RigB instead. For £ 50 this brings a nice upgrade from the 95. Then eventually replace the stylus with the 760SLC.

Thanks. I've heard frequently that the Exact is a good match.

I have actually felt fairly impressed with the Atom. Went recently to buy a Nova subject to a demonstration and it didn't feel that much of a step up.

I think I would probably have to go the Naim separate route but yes I can see that anything beyond Ania is getting a bit unbalanced.

P6 > Exact > Rega Phono MM > Atom > Castle Knight/MkI Linn Kans/Tannoy Cheviots (retired)...

It's all you'll need

Untitled by Jonathan Roberts, on Flickr

Exact, or Goldring 1042.

It's not a bad shout, depending on what you want, as the 1042 is cheap for what it is. It's say it's not far behind the likes of the 2M Black if that's the type of sound you're looking for. Personally, I prefer the yellow jellybaby but not everyone will. Hi-Fi vs music I'd say.

P6 > Exact > Rega Phono MM > Atom > Castle Knight/MkI Linn Kans/Tannoy Cheviots (retired)...

I'd try and find some genuine MkII Kan stands if possible. Kans are trouble at the best of times and sound slightly odd on anything else.

Agreed, re: the stands. Original Söund Örganisatiön 'High Stands' are another good shout. Same Fabriweld manufacture, but fully welded. I use these under my Kan Mk1 (and other 'speakers). May, or may not, be easier to find in the UK. Frankly, I was surprised (shocked even) to find a pair of these in a garage sale over here in Canada. SÖ later had a revised version of these that came flat packed, looked similar to Kan 2 Stands but with the front two verticals angled outward; very solid things.

106065990_10163816725775611_8711021163316305148_n_linn%2Bspeakers.jpg

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Plenty of ideas to think about. Perhaps leaning toward to an Exact or Ania.

Although the Ania is a bit on the pricer side unless I can find a decent used one but not much coming up at the moment.

Sure,

I guess I want to try out the P6 as intended by Rega but it's just a case of working out what I like best. I listen to mainly Prog rock featuring usual all the usual suspects through to Mark Knopfler and some slightly heavier stuff but also jazz. Guess what ticks most of these boxes.

I think if I was going the Ania route, I’d go with the Pro, as the stylus is far better, it’s tracking ability would be far superior.
I must admit to liking the Exact a lot, it works so well in a Rega system.
When I fit mine in the P9 I’m always surprised by how good it is, and it stays there for a while until I get the itch to try something else, but somehow always come back to it!

I think if I was going the Ania route, I’d go with the Pro, as the stylus is far better, it’s tracking ability would be far superior.
I must admit to liking the Exact a lot, it works so well in a Rega system.
When I fit mine in the P9 I’m always surprised by how good it is, and it stays there for a while until I get the itch to try something else, but somehow always come back to it![/QUO

Ok, thanks adds to the Exact being a good option. I think for the moment the Ania Pro is a bit more than to I want to spend.

Another shout for the Exact, great cart. Used one for years but bettered eventually by an Apheta (which I still use). Interestingly Rega recommend the Exact, Ania, Ania Pro and Apheta 3 as suitable for the P6.

I'm using a Nagaoka mp-110 on my P3 which I like a lot but am always tempted to try an Exact.

Another shout for the Exact, great cart. Used one for years but bettered eventually by an Apheta (which I still use). Interestingly Rega recommend the Exact, Ania, Ania Pro and Apheta 3 as suitable for the P6.

Part of my hesitation about the more expensive options is the ability to have a brain freeze moment and damage it. If I got an Apheta I would be worried about destroying it.

I'd try and find some genuine MkII Kan stands if possible. Kans are trouble at the best of times and sound slightly odd on anything else.
I know what you mean, but these were my dad’s speakers and I don’t really want to damage them with spikes. The stands work well enough for my ears.

Part of my hesitation about the more expensive options is the ability to have a brain freeze moment and damage it.

It happens. I've taken the cantilever off a brand new MC cart while fitting it and I have a friend who has killed two OC9s. It's a good argument for running a better turntable and cheaper cart.

At the introduction of the Ekos, Linn dealers did a dem where they showed that the Ekos with a Basik MM cartridge, a very cheap Audio Technica, sounded better than the Ittok with a Troika on it. A lot of people want to rush out and get a MC cartridge because they think there is something magical about them but you will get better sound and value by using a higher spec deck and cheaper cartridge.

I know what you mean, but these were my dad’s speakers and I don’t really want to damage them with spikes.

You don't have to use the top spikes. You can fit countersunk screws instead of the top spikes leaving the top-plate flat. I wouldn't, they sound better with the spikes, but it's a personal call. Kans are probably the most demanding speakers I've ever had, in terms of set-up and matching equipment, and I consider the right stands a must.

advertisement

Back