advertisement

Rega P3/P6 vs Technics SL1200/1210

Does the GAE have different feet than the G ? (sorry for drifting OT),
The silicone gel is different and more hi spec in the GAE feet, Technics label it Theta Gel and it’s the same as used in the totl 1000R.

A popular option is to replace the feet with Isonoe ones, I’ve done that along with their sorbothane boots.

I've got the Isonoe feet on my 1200 mk5 - since I don't run subs don't have particulary issues with feedback -but just knuckle rapping the cabinet that the TT's sit in -the GAE is remarkably immune to picking that up thru the feet. Has anyone actually bought a G/GAE arm as a part from Technics ?

Has anyone actually bought a G/GAE arm as a part from Technics ?
Panasonic don’t export spare parts direct to the UK. You can get them from USA/UK online shops and eBay etc. but I think they are “pulls” apart from the 1000R arm I think that might be an official part from Technics dealers, the base plate certainly is, maybe a dealer will chip in with Technics official stance.

The 1200G Arm is Part Number RAC0007 and newer number TYL0544​

The 1200GR Arm is Part Number TXK4000A and newer number TXK4400A​

The 1210GR Arm is Part Number TXK4100A and newer number TXK4500A​

The 1000R arm is about £4K part TXQ0031​

The 1000R arm is about £4K part TXQ0031​

The 1000R can be used with a second and third arm, so it makes sense that they'd offer one of their own.

ast-1242943.png.pub.thumb.644.644.png

Thanks amber audio - I'm working on a double arm turntable and disassembled my GAE to put that arm on it -gonna have to see what another GAE arm would cost ? The easy adjust-ability of the Technics arm allows you to get cartridges just right after a headshell/cart swap in . Please -if you are lucky enough to own a 1200 series table - leave it's arm factory set -don't monkey with the bearings.

Thanks amber audio - I'm working on a double arm turntable and disassembled my GAE to put that arm on it -gonna have to see what another GAE arm would cost ? The easy adjust-ability of the Technics arm allows you to get cartridges just right after a headshell/cart swap in . Please -if you are lucky enough to own a 1200 series table - leave it's arm factory set -don't monkey with the bearings.
The 1200G arm seems to go for around £1200 / $1300, likewise the GAE should be same ball park maybe a bit more.

The 1000R can be used with a second and third arm, so it makes sense that they'd offer one of their own.

ast-1242943.png.pub.thumb.644.644.png
That's my dream deck and hopefully be landing when I get my pension lump sum and will do me a Marie Kondo in my retirement by bringing much joy :)

Apologies for drifting so far OT -but the test report in Hi Fi News and RR on the GAE and Paul Millers obvious respect for what they accomplished with the new cast mag arm is the reason I bought that TT. This remains by far the most expensive purchase of my long audio obsession and i still think was well worth the price.

I've installed RB-250 (original model) onto one of my SL-1200's (and more controversially -run one for years on my LP-12 :) , and frankly have a lot of respect for the Rega arms -but at least IME /to my ears- it wasn't a really dramatic improvement over the stock Technics arm ? Please understand that decades of servicing SL-1200 's has led me to several conclusions : a.) The spindle bottom bearing thrust plate will wear out -used to just replace the entire assembly (cheap OEM replacement part) -nowdays I just replace them with the KAB replacement thrust plate. b.) All my 1200/10's except the GAE have had their arms replaced -simply because I am not competent to adjust arm bearings and for some reason/defect within audiophile wetware there is confusion between "I can adjust the bearings " and "I should adjust the bearings" on 1200 series arms. I bought arms in quantity as OEM parts and just replaced them as a matter of course. So -what I like about the Techinics 1200 series is they are boringly consistently on pitch -dead nutz on pitch. Piano notes for instance simply hang in space on a well recorded solo piano work - I have NO experience with anything except stock Rega tables -but the many hours I have spent with them have left me less than impressed with their long term pitch accuracy (AND -I have no long term experience with Rega's past their roughly middle range models ). The OEM 1200/10 original arm-unmolested - is better than almost anyone gives it credit for being and adds the really great head shell swapping/arm height adjusting functionality to good sound. Yah -and the GAE arm (I think same as the G arm ?) is a couple of steps better -at least as dead as any of my Rega or SME arms -and a ton easier to swap carts onto. So- my personal choice would be a original 1200/10 over a Rega. The GAE is the only new model Ive heard -so would be curious about how some of the less expensive new models compare.

One issue with some of the responses to the OP is that people are comparing their experiences of 80s or 90s P3s with 1200/1210s. The modern Rega decks, especially the arms, but also the PSUs, are much better than that - notwithstanding the significant price differences I mentioned earlier. The light/rigid philosophy Rega have adopted since the P9 is seriously paying off IMO.

The Technics decks are impressive for their stability and heft. But they don't do timbre and space like a modern Rega.

If all I listened to was Electronica, it would be cut and dried for the Technics, but for a whole raft of material, a Rega 6 is audibly better.

I have been enjoying my Planar 3 (with subplatjer upgrade)/Hana EL, especially since I switched to SCM40s. I am not sure I like it more than streaming or Naim CD5/Hicap; different but a little less dynamic overall with a little less low end.

I was just reading through this older thread because I saw that my local shop has a lightly used 2023 1200GR with Ortofon Blue for about the same that I spent on the Planar 3. I know the Rega is cheaper in the UK but they are very similar here. I have read several shoot out threads how the Technics is much better (especially with bass), but the shop strongly favors the Rega. I do like the overall ethos of the Rega more. I could bring it home and decide for myself- although I may not be ready to another week of comparing minutia.

I'd grab any s/h GR that goes below price of new 100C/1200mk7
Splendid deck.
I don't know the Technics ladder. The 1200mk7 and 100c are same cost new- $1100. The 1500C slightly more and the used 1200GR a bit more (but includes a cart)

Since I preferred the Rega/Hana to the 1500C/Exact in the store, maybe the 100GR will be similar to the 1500 and it's not worth the fussing. One thing I forgot-is how LPs are ironically very short-playing.

Since I preferred the Rega/Hana to the 1500C/Exact in the store, maybe the 100GR will be similar to the 1500 and it's not worth the fussing. One thing I forgot-is how LPs are ironically very short-playing.

Was an external phono-stage used for both? I'm asking because the 1500C has an in-built MM RIAA that is decent but can be bettered.

But other than that there's probably not a lot in it between the GR, Mk7 and 100C/1500C models.

Also hard to say when you were comparing 2 different transducers (Exact vs Hana) which have a lot to say when it comes to the final outcome.

I'd say if you enjoy your P3 there are a few upgrade options (assuming you haven't already) like the external Neo-PSU Mk2 (for both speed stability/accuracy and ease-of-use), the EBLT drive belt (for speed accuracy - not to be dismissed) and not least - the RWB wall bracket if you have a solid bearing wall to hang it on. Does a lot for your vibration measuring machine. ;)

advertisement

Back