advertisement

Rega P3/P6 vs Technics SL1200/1210

gerlando

Prog Rocker
I know that this topic has already been widely discussed, I too have had both, but in your opinion what exactly are the advantages/disadvantages (pros/cons)?

Thank you.
Mauro

A friend if mine has just bought a Technics, the one that's about £1300 I think, and he's finding he prefers it to his LP12 in some ways. It's not very often you hear of someone buying one of these things and not liking it. They just seem to get the job done.

from my experience the strengths of the Rega (or weaknesses of the Technics) are the tonearm and the aesthetics, while the strengths of the Technics (or weaknesses of the Rega) are the drive and stability.

I bought a bashed up SL-1210 Mk5 for £200 as a stopgap while I got my LP12 serviced a decade ago. The LP12 has never made it back into my regular system. I'm listening to the 1210 now. The unmistakeable sound of real speed stability was a revelation and caused me to reassess a lot of my prejudices. I think most SL-1200 variants are let down by an arm which, while fairly good, is not quite to the same standard as the motor. I discovered what my 1210 could really do when I put my Ekos 2 on it.

I would be really interested in this because, while i am a Technics user and can attest to how good the stock 1210 was as a deck - esp once the arm is rewired - i suspect that something like the latest Planar 6 may resolve finer details and have better air around instruments better than the standard Techy.

Would love to do a back to back with the latest Rega P3 and P6 vs Technics 1210 with modded, but stock arm. All using the same ATVM540ML cart. That would be a really interesting comparison. Certainly in terms of pound for sound the Technics would probably come out on top but would the Rega win for outright sound quality and musicality ?

I might make some recordings of my 1200Mk2 vs Rega Planar2 using the same cartridge once I get the Rega serviced. I did so several years ago and put the files out on the Steve Hoffman forum. I needed to use Audacity to slow down the Rega to match the speed of the Technics which worked well.

Having owned a P3 and a SL1200 I can not think of one good reason why anyone would chose the P3, cheap and plasticky compared to the rock solid Technics.

I know that this topic has already been widely discussed, I too have had both, but in your opinion what exactly are the advantages/disadvantages (pros/cons)?

Thank you.
Mauro

Is this about the G/GR editions or every edition 1200/1210 ?

One of the Technics advantages are the head-shell for easy change of cartridge.

I bought a bashed up SL-1210 Mk5 for £200 as a stopgap while I got my LP12 serviced a decade ago. The LP12 has never made it back into my regular system. I'm listening to the 1210 now. The unmistakeable sound of real speed stability was a revelation and caused me to reassess a lot of my prejudices. I think most SL-1200 variants are let down by an arm which, while fairly good, is not quite to the same standard as the motor. I discovered what my 1210 could really do when I put my Ekos 2 on it.

I bought a £100 Sony DD and it ended my 20 years with the LP12. It had a crappy old MM cart and I stood it on a chair next to the 12 on Mana reference, with Lingo 2, Ekos 2 and Arkiv. The Sony sounded not as good. Bought a WT Amadeus the following week. If I hadn't been so brainwashed I would have at least auditioned it against the Technics closest in price. Loved my time with the 12 and don't regret it one bit.

advertisement

Back