advertisement

Rega P10 Speed help

Did you calibrate the app for that measurement? It self calibrates using the phone’s gyro but takes quite a few revolutions to do it. Mine corrected by a bit more that 0.04rpm when I did it.

Did you calibrate the app for that measurement? It self calibrates using the phone’s gyro but takes quite a few revolutions to do it. Mine corrected by a bit more that 0.04rpm when I did it.
This is interesting, are you saying leave the phone in situ for a couple of minutes before setting it to work?

Well to start off I would not be using a phono app to set the speed, get a proper speed check disk and strobe if you are concerned about it, if not leave it.

Personally, I'm not all that bothered about absolute speed accuracy, that is, as long as speed is both consistent and within the fraction of a semitone ballpark (most of all consistent). Regardless, I don't see any problem with adjusting the speed with either Neo or P10 PSU, especially so, as speed can be returned to the factory default via a simple press and hold of the speed programme switch.

The only thing I'd add to Rega's instructions is that the deck should be left to reach nominal operating temperature by letting it run for a period of time before attempting adjustment.

According to the manuals, once these supplies are in speed 'programme mode' the step size is in 0.01rpm increments. Rega suggest making adjustments of up to five steps at a time, and checking the speed after each adjustment until accuracy is achieved. I can see this being handy as belts wear. Regardless, Rega suggest a 5 year belt(s) replacement interval. My lower end Rega belts tend to last a lot longer as I always push start my P-decks.

This is what Rega have to say about the use of phone apps to check speed...

"Rega, along with a London mastering studio, have used the iPhone ‘RPM’ app (available on the App Store) developed by Philip Broder to check and adjust the speed of a turntable using the Neo, with positive results. We have verified the basic accuracy of the ‘RPM’ app using Rega’s in-house speed measuring equipment, but as this is a third-party app, we cannot guarantee the readings because of uncertainties, which could be caused by the age, condition, and operating system of the phone the app is installed on. If you are in any doubt, you should check the calibration of the ‘RPM’ app using a suitable reference."​

Personally, I'm not all that bothered about absolute speed accuracy, that is, as long as speed is both consistent and within the fraction of a semitone ballpark (most of all consistent). Regardless, I don't see any problem with adjusting the speed with either Neo or P10 PSU, especially so, as speed can be returned to the factory default via a simple press and hold of the speed programme switch.

The only thing I'd add to Rega's instructions is that the deck should be left to reach nominal operating temperature by letting it run for a period of time before attempting adjustment.

According to the manuals, once these supplies are in speed 'programme mode' the step size is in 0.01rpm increments. Rega suggest making adjustments of up to five steps at a time, and checking the speed after each adjustment until accuracy is achieved. I can see this being handy as belts wear. Regardless, Rega suggest a 5 year belt(s) replacement interval. My lower end Rega belts tend to last a lot longer as I always push start my P-decks.

This is what Rega have to say about the use of phone apps to check speed...

"Rega, along with a London mastering studio, have used the iPhone ‘RPM’ app (available on the App Store) developed by Philip Broder to check and adjust the speed of a turntable using the Neo, with positive results. We have verified the basic accuracy of the ‘RPM’ app using Rega’s in-house speed measuring equipment, but as this is a third-party app, we cannot guarantee the readings because of uncertainties, which could be caused by the age, condition, and operating system of the phone the app is installed on. If you are in any doubt, you should check the calibration of the ‘RPM’ app using a suitable reference."​

Though Rega doesn't summarily discourage the use of phone apps to measure their turntable's speed there are those among us who might jump to the wrong conclusions and think phone apps are a viable alterative to a much more reliable strobe kit like the one Rega markets that at least here in the states is not too outrageously priced.

Though Rega doesn't summarily discourage the use of phone apps to measure their turntable's speed there are those among us who might jump to the wrong conclusions and think phone apps are a viable alterative to a much more reliable strobe kit like the one Rega markets that at least here in the states is not too outrageously priced.

I've just bought the Rega kit, and now I'm almost loathe to use it on my 8....

As mentioned above the calibration function is in settings if you’ve pad for the app.

To use the RPM app I’m placing either an HRS record weight or a 45 dukebox adapter over the spindle so I can centre the phone, more or less, the HRS weight is larger so a safer platform. Either way the weight of the phone is pressing down on the bearing so changing the loading on it, particularly significant on a lightweight deck, mine isn’t a Rega and has a 7kg platter. I also have a Glodring Lenco strobe disc and there’s agreement between that and RPM, though I’m using another app (free this time) to provide the strobe light rather than mains frequency, though I’ve used that in the past.

When I bought my P8 the dealer lent me the rega strobe to check it when I had set it up (at my request)
It was fine from the factory

As mentioned above the calibration function is in settings if you’ve pad for the app.

To use the RPM app I’m placing either an HRS record weight or a 45 dukebox adapter over the spindle so I can centre the phone, more or less, the HRS weight is larger so a safer platform. Either way the weight of the phone is pressing down on the bearing so changing the loading on it, particularly significant on a lightweight deck, mine isn’t a Rega and has a 7kg platter. I also have a Glodring Lenco strobe disc and there’s agreement between that and RPM, though I’m using another app (free this time) to provide the strobe light rather than mains frequency, though I’ve used that in the past.
I've realised that I'm using android - that RPM app is not offered to the Android platform. Ah well....

advertisement

Back