advertisement

Rega P 3 interconnect

johnp5509

So I bought one recently and compared the sound to my digital source. Not too happy. I have the original 'interconnect' on the RP3 and believe this is a weak link. However I dont know how to upgrade the interconnect as its a 'fixed' cable. I assume I'd need to do a DIY job and solder etc... to do the upgrade? Any advice or experience please? Thanks

What is the system?

Yes you can get a better arm cable....

Could be a lot of things, cartridge, phono stage, expectations too high of a modest TT....

72/140/hi cap, 1042, Rb300. Experimenting with vinyl but could be a frustrating exercise.

Great amps, take it you have 322 boards in the 72.

Not a fan of the 1042.

RB 300 is fine.

P3 not the best version of the Rega 3.

Better off with a Systemdek or Thorens TD150/160.

Buying an expensive arm cable here is very much the tail waging the dog.

If you were bought up on CD , vinyl will sound pretty bad , its got some serious issues , but get it right and it can sound very good. I have a CD player thats pretty good and is slowly making my vinyl collection sound bad , but it to has limitation/issues .

Yeah, it's interesting. I listened to vinyl in my youth and maybe it's the romanticism of it all! I sold all my CDs a few years back so only other source is digital. I would like to spend less time tweaking and more time listening!

The interconnect might (or might not..) make a very small difference once you are satisfied with the rest. But it is very unlikely that it is a kind of audio bottleneck that is not letting the system work as it should. As already said, cartridge, condition of the stylus, tracking angle and pressure, having the correct phono cards in the pre-amp (!!!???) and expectations come first.

Suggest you speak to Audio Origami for unbiased advice on arm cable. I had my RB300 rewired by Johnny and it made a good and worthwhile improvement.

If you were bought up on CD , vinyl will sound pretty bad , its got some serious issues , but get it right and it can sound very good. I have a CD player thats pretty good and is slowly making my vinyl collection sound bad , but it to has limitation/issues .

You have the rights of it. Anyone brought up with the neutrality & accuracy of digital playback is going to find vinyl's many issues a challenge.

If you were brought up with vinyl, you will probably prefer it. A bit like the Greeks actually liking ouzo, when the rest of the world can tell that it is wine spoiled by the addition of pine resin, just like the Turks intended it to be.

Chris

You have the rights of it. Anyone brought up with the neutrality & accuracy of digital playback is going to find vinyl's many issues a challenge.

If you were brought up with vinyl, you will probably prefer it. A bit like the Greeks actually liking ouzo, when the rest of the world can tell that it is wine spoiled by the addition of pine resin, just like the Turks intended it to be.

Chris
The rest of the world can? That's amazing, since Ouzo is an aperitif like Ricard and is made from distilled alcohol and anise.

You're thinking of Retsina.

The rest of the world can? That's amazing, since Ouzo is an aperitif like Ricard and is made from distilled alcohol and anise.

You are of course, 100% correct. I even thought at the time "I must not get it confused with Ouzo".

The whiskey is definitely rotting my brain!

Chris

The armcable is fine, 1042 can be a bit 'lumpy' though (big and slow, with too much woolly bass). Oh and BTW: the armcable is sensitive to hum from transformers of amplifiers and stuff, so be careful with the positioning of your TT. Oh and BTW: there is an earth wire running through one of the cables, I think it's the right (not left) one. You might have to remove other earthing. Experiment en find out, don't give up on a great TT yet

Regards,

Klyde

That can give you a mighty headache that stuff, right between the eyes!

Oh I miss my days of fun on the Greek islands! :cool:

Any recommendations for near or around Berkshire area?
Thanks

If you mean a dealer, one of ours is Infidelity in Kingston, 40 mins in the car down the M3 and passed Hampton Court.

Good on record players they are.

If you went down the M3 the other way to Winchester you will come to another of our dealers, Phonography, also great with vinyl.

advertisement

Back