advertisement

Rega Naia

I’m really talking about the lower decks. Their lower priced carts are nice as well. And they all bling to some extent.

I disagree.

The first Rega product I bought was a Planar3/RB300 in the eighties. At that time Rega were much smaller and less well known than they are today and there was a waiting list for the turntables. Few people had heard of them and the Planar 2 and three were the only things they made.

Two things struck me about my new Planar3. It sounded fantastic and it was close to being a perfect product. Apart from the badging, there isn't a single part of the deck which is there for cosmetic reasons. Every part performs a function and this clean simplicity results in a elegant and stylish aesthetic without resorting to bling.

The new Naia is the same. Point to anything on the deck which is purely aesthetic? In fact there is criticism in the this thread about the fact that the foam of the plinth edge is not covered but that completely misses the point. Adding a wrap to the edge of the plinth would add cost and weight and introduce another material that might resonate. Rega are putting value and performance before aesthetics.

Do you honestly think this £136,000 monstrosity reflects similar values?

clearaudio_statement_black_acryl[1].jpg

At 9 pages in, I am very late to this thread, and confused.

Has anyone commenting heard a Naia? Given that most potential buyers will assess its relative merits by thinking of SQ per £ (or per £1000), aren't we all being a tad premature?

Imagine for a moment that everyone who does hear one believes that (in a suitable system and room) it materially outperforms (say) the highest-price LP12, Vertere, Technics, Clearaudio, Brinkmann, VPI and Thrax turntables for SQ - subjectively better musical involvement, more detail, more vigorous dynamics, more pacy, easier to mount properly, quieter &c. Who would then be offended by the price?

Now imagine that word leaks out the Rega has done some amazing deals with its suppliers, and that they are selling vast numbers (because of the above-mentioned SQ), so that the cost of making each Naia is actually only just above that of making a P10. Who would now become offended by the asking price?

I am not suggesting a 'whatever price the market will bear' approach to (say) insulin in the USA, but no-one's life depends on turntable pricing. Surely our right to object to the price of a turntable ends with our deciding not to pay it, and only starts when we have heard it....

I disagree.

The first Rega product I bought was a Planar3/RB300 in the eighties. At that time Rega were much smaller and less well known than they are today and there was a waiting list for the turntables. Few people had heard of them and the Planar 2 and three were the only things they made.

Two things struck me about my new Planar3. It sounded fantastic and it was close to being a perfect product. Apart from the badging, there isn't a single part of the deck which is there for cosmetic reasons. Every part performs a function and this clean simplicity results in a elegant and stylish aesthetic without resorting to bling.

The new Naia is the same. Point to anything on the deck which is purely aesthetic? In fact there is criticism in the this thread about the fact that the foam of the plinth edge is not covered but that completely misses the point. Adding a wrap to the edge of the plinth would add cost and weight and introduce another material that might resonate. Rega are putting value and performance before aesthetics.

Do you honestly think this £136,000 monstrosity reflects similar values?

clearaudio_statement_black_acryl[1].jpg
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. My former Clearaudio Emotion was a little more refined sounding than the P3 which I thought was energetic but a little brash when I heard it.

Let’s agree to disagree then.Both excellent companies with excellent engineering and after sales service.

If you're sensitive to which one more clearly follows/relays the tune to the listener then the choice becomes obvious that the P3 is the more musical deck than the Clearaudio Emotion. And as far as the P3's sounding "brash" to me comes down to something else system/setup related.

If you're sensitive to which one more clearly follows/relays the tune to the listener then the choice becomes obvious that the P3 is the more musical deck than the Clearaudio Emotion. And as far as the P3's sounding "brash" to me comes down to something else system/setup related.
What does musical mean?

To me that it so obvious that it would be an insult to my intelligence to explain it. If you've gotten this far though your life without being able to understand it I doubt I could help you.

A bit harsh. I think there was a thread along those lines not too long ago which was a bit of an eye opener for all when about two dozen different interpretations of "musical sounding" were given and all of a sudden a forum full of Hi-Fi nerds realised why we'd been arguing for years when none of us were using the same definition of the term.

IMO it's a useless term.

Scotland.
Thanks, I am envious...

Scotland has been on my ideal home wish list since working in Edinburgh in the 1970's (I expect the city has changed since then) and but for the children settled in the south I would move north tomorrow.

advertisement

Back