advertisement

Rega Naia

Didn’t realize I wasn’t allowed to criticize Rega here.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the company and have owned their products in the past. But I guess that doesn’t entitle me to share my opinion on a public forum.

Erocka2000, if you fancy pontificating on the lack of value in the Naia over the Planar 10, I would suggest you at least get your figures correct, Planar 10 is £3960, Naia will be £9200 which as far as my Winnie the Pooh Brain can calculate is £5240 NOT £8000.

How much will it be in the US?

Also, Paul, why not just enclose the foam to make the plinth just a wee bit more attractive?

I’m not complaining about the price of the Naia, I’m complaining that you are not getting that much more than a P10 for almost triple the price. It’s just nonsense.

But you are complaining about the price...in every post you have made....particularly in this one ^^^^^^

Didn’t realize I wasn’t allowed to criticize Rega here.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the company and have owned their products in the past. But I guess that doesn’t entitle me to share my opinion on a public forum.

...and of course you can criticise Rega and you can share your views but be prepared to have those views rebutted where folk feel you are wide of the mark.

Well, if the performance is incremental and used prices much lower in time then I may find a future replacement for my RP10, not that I’m in any rush. I’m curious to know what something like a Hana Umami Blue sounds like on it over my current Apheta 2. And maybe my RS10 were or were not worth their £8100 new but for £2K as third owner I remain very happy.

but back on topic, I’m pleased that Paul and the team continue to evolve Rega products.

Also, Paul, why not just enclose the foam to make the plinth just a wee bit more attractive?

I think they've stated many times they only do things that affect performance, enclosing the exposed plinth wouldn't improve anything other than aesthetics (to some, it's fine as is to me).

You sound like the typical "price of everything, value of nothing" sort of person. Go and buy a cheap slab of carbon, some titanium and ceramic for buttons, then make a quality turntable from them and come back and tell us how much you spent.

I think they've stated many times they only do things that affect performance, enclosing the exposed plinth wouldn't improve anything other than aesthetics (to some, it's fine as is to me).

You sound like the typical "price of everything, value of nothing" sort of person. Go and buy a cheap slab of carbon, some titanium and ceramic for buttons, then make a quality turntable from them and come back and tell us how much you spent.

Because the economies of scale would be the same for me as an already existing turntable manufacturer that already has a lot of the machinery need to make the turntables.

Do all of you work for Rega or something? You’re all acting like I insulted your mothers or something. I just posted my opinion on the Naia and seemingly have to be berated by Rega disciples for not just joining the herd and praising anything that Rega releases.

Really tough crowd here.

Do all of you work for Rega or something? You’re all acting like insulted your mothers or something. I just posted my opinion on the Naia and seemingly have to be berated by Rega disciples for not just joining the herd and praising anything that Rega releases.

Really tough crowd here.

Now you are playing the victim card.

You ostensibly have been saying all the way through this thread that the Naia is going to be overpriced for what it offers over and above the next Rega deck down the scale.

Some of us have tried to say that hifi pricing does not conform to a worth/cost profile.

You haven't insulted my mother and you posting your opinion is fine.

Aspro, I think you are confusing us with others when you refer to "marketing strategy / marketing strategy loop". We neither have a marketing department nor a marketing budget, to remind, we have never ever paid for an advert in any HiFi Magazine nor any other publication in 50 years so your concept is fanciful and flawed. As for my "futile" attempt to dampen speculation, that was borne out of a desire for people to wait and see rather than make inaccurate observations on cost vs performance, which however well intentioned has failed as your post proves.
Just because you don’t have a marketing department doesn’t mean you don’t have a strategy. Ultimately you are involved in marketing the brand. I may be mistaken but I’m sure sure Rega have supplied music magazines with equipment in the past & you definitely use social media.

Anyway best of luck with the new TT, hopefully enough people will get to hear about it;) In today’s terms it will be very good value compared to the competition.

Now you are playing the victim card.

You ostensibly have been saying all the way through this thread that the Naia is going to be overpriced for what it offers over and above the next Rega deck down the scale.

Some of us have tried to say that hifi pricing does not conform to a worth/cost profile.

You haven't insulted my mother and you posting your opinion is fine.

Well, the way you disagree with my opinion is the same way I disagree with your opinion. Neither of us can be right or wrong because that is subjective.

The same considerations no doubt apply to the bearing, the platter, the arm, the motor mount, the feet, and so on.

Anyone who thinks this turntable is a ripoff really hasn't been paying attention. You've got Rega's entire history bearing witness. If this turntable was a ripoff that would run counter to everything that Rega has stood for until now.

I can't think of any other Hi-Fi company that pushes technology in the way Rega has. From the cast armtubes in the eighties, they have found ways of doing things that have never been done before and then found ways of bringing the price of those performance gains down.

I’m not complaining about the price of the Naia, I’m complaining that you are not getting that much more than a P10 for almost triple the price. It’s just nonsense.

Once you get to the upper reaches of performance in most spheres you start having to pay a lot more for relatively slight improvements. The bearing of the Naia alone is a big jump in production difficulty over a more conventional bearing and won't be cheap. If you think about what they've done with it, it's bonkers! See any other turntable manufacturer doing anything like it? The much lauded Linn Karousel is an entirely conventional bearing which could have been manufactured decades ago. There is nothing cutting edge in an LP12. It's good quality but it's all standard machining and electronics hundreds of companies could do. Just look at all the aftermarket Linn parts which are just as well made as the Linn ones. Think you'll see an aftermarket bearing like the one on the Naia any time soon? Me neither. This deck might look very like a P10 but it's not. It's a whole nuther level.

Anyone who thinks this turntable is a ripoff really hasn't been paying attention. You've got Rega's entire history bearing witness. If this turntable was a ripoff that would run counter to everything that Rega has stood for until now.

I can't think of any other Hi-Fi company that pushes technology in the way Rega has. From the cast armtubes in the eighties, they have found ways of doing things that have never been done before and then found ways of bringing the price of those performance gains down.

Once you get to the upper reaches of performance in most spheres you start having to pay a lot more for relatively slight improvements. The bearing of the Naia alone is a big jump in production difficulty over a more conventional bearing and won't be cheap. If you think about what they've done with it, it's bonkers! See any other turntable manufacturer doing anything like it? The much lauded Linn Karousel is an entirely conventional bearing which could have been manufactured decades ago. There is nothing cutting edge in an LP12. It's good quality but it's all standard machining and electronics hundreds of companies could do. Just look at all the aftermarket Linn parts which are just as well made as the Linn ones. Think you'll see an aftermarket bearing like the one on the Naia any time soon? Me neither. This deck might look very like a P10 but it's not. It's a whole nuther level.

Didn’t you switch back to Team Linn recently?

Yes. I prefer the sound of the LP12 to the RP10, not heard this Naia obviously, but we're not talking about personal preference here. None of us have heard it. We're talking about Rega the company. Where they stand in terms of technology and commitment to the pursuit of quality and value. In those regards I think they are best Hi-Fi manufacturer in the UK and one of the best in the world. Doesn't mean I have to love everything they make.

But that doesn't fit your narrative that we're all Rega fanboys, make your mind up. I've owned tons of their stuff but never cared for the sound, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what they've done here from a technological viewpoint.

Rega make fine products with excellent after sales service. Naim make nice products. But there are so many other brands and products of equal merit and quality.

advertisement

Back