advertisement

Rega motor noise

@Phil Bishop,

You mentioned something about having 'chop(ed) and change(d)' things to rule out the influence of belts, etc., but have you also tried the Neo from your Planar 6 on the RP6?

Craig

I just swapped out two 110v motors in my non-Rega deck after 25 years service from the old motors. Fitted thrust bearings and used a stethoscope to listen to to motor noise while setting them. The most important thing for me turned out to be setting the pulley height to ensure the belt was tracking properly on the crown. It had a massive influence.

I just swapped out two 110v motors in my non-Rega deck after 25 years service from the old motors. Fitted thrust bearings and used a stethoscope to listen to to motor noise while setting them. The most important thing for me turned out to be setting the pulley height to ensure the belt was tracking properly on the crown. It had a massive influence.
WRT motor alignment, on Rega decks the great equalizer is having a round belt running within a grooved pulley; this, as well the motor being mounted on the same plane as is the main bearing/hub.

With the old rubber O-ring motor suspension setup, there was a specific adjustment method involved such that the motor spindle ended up being pulled into final parallel axis alignment with the main bearing/spindle via belt tension. IOWs, one wasn't aiming to have the motor spindle straight vertical until belt tension was applied.

With the installation of a new Rega motor upgrade kit it is important to get the pulley height correct for the specific turntable model such that the drive belt rides at an appropriate height for both 33.3 and 45rpm. To facilitate such, Rega supply different thickness motor mount pads, a thin (dubbed 'double') and thick (dubbed 'triple'), and include a spare hub washer (for use only if required). This is one of the reasons why the DIY'er need follow the supplied installation instructions to the letter, a critical step here being to check the belt positions on the hub at both speeds before the final 'peel and stick'. *

https://www.rega.co.uk/download/24_v_motor_upgrade_kit_Instructions_English.pdf

* One must also have the pulley perfectly centred wrt the plinth hole for correct belt tension.

Last edited:
What would help me as a first step is to know what oil to use to apply to the motor spindle that houses the belt pulley. Rega did kindly supply me some a while back in a syringe that allows application to this difficult area but it has been used up although I still have the syringe. It's worth another go with this first I reckon before returning the deck (again).

Please note I am talking about the motor shaft, not the main bearing :)

Rega recommend motor oil, either hypergrade or a good multigrade (one drop only).

Personally, I've always found SAE20 to work fine for a good 10+ years.

That is for the main turntable bearing, John.

Paul was asking about what oil to use in his motor bearing.

Thanks Craig, exactly.

Now I have a second conundrum! Where to put it. I chanced on this YouTube video which suggests placing the oil on the top of the pulley - surely that's not correct? I thought it was a drop on the motor shaft where the spindle protrudes through the plinth?

Thanks Craig, exactly.

Now I have a second conundrum! Where to put it. I chanced on this YouTube video which suggests placing the oil on the top of the pulley - surely that's not correct? I thought it was a drop on the motor shaft where the spindle protrudes through the plinth?
Ah yes, the perils of YouTube instructional videos! I am reminded of one in which a young lad completely destroys his G-Drive Mobile HDD whilst showing the world how to take the HDD out of a G-Drive Mobile HDD.

Yes, one drop at the base of the spindle, beneath the pulley where the spindle exits the bearing sleeve. If there exists any up/down play then gently pumping the pulley up/down will help to distribute the oil more rapidly, and possibly direct some down into the gap beneath the sleeve bearing. i.e. where your 'whirring' noise may be originating from.

Best not to put any extra drops in, as you don't want to gum up the rotor.

Ah yes, the perils of YouTube instructional videos! I am reminded of one in which a young lad completely destroys his G-Drive Mobile HDD whilst showing the world how to take the HDD out of a G-Drive Mobile HDD.

Yes, one drop at the base of the spindle, beneath the pulley where the spindle exits the bearing sleeve. If there exists any up/down play then gently pumping the pulley up/down will help to distribute the oil more rapidly, and possibly direct some down into the gap beneath the sleeve bearing. i.e. where your 'whirring' noise may be originating from.

Best not to put any extra drops in, as you don't want to gum up the rotor.
Thanks Craig, yes, I could not believe that video!

I think I'll give the deck a good few weeks running first to see how it goes before trying any more oil.

Thanks for all your advice.

I don't know if it's my imagination but today when the sun had been on the deck it seemed a tad quieter. I guess not that surprising as warmth frees things up, even my ears - music always sounds better when the sun's shining :)

You are welcome, Phil.

Let us know how it comes along.

BTW, I hear you re the sun shining. Donald Fagen is sounding superb doing I.G.Y. (from 'The Nightfly') in the early evening sunshine over here right now.

WRT motor alignment, on Rega decks the great equalizer is having a round belt running within a grooved pulley; this, as well the motor being mounted on the same plane as is the main bearing/hub.

With the old rubber O-ring motor suspension setup, there was a specific adjustment method involved such that the motor spindle ended up being pulled into final parallel axis alignment with the main bearing/spindle via belt tension. IOWs, one wasn't aiming to have the motor spindle straight vertical until belt tension was applied.

With the installation of a new Rega motor upgrade kit it is important to get the pulley height correct for the specific turntable model such that the drive belt rides at an appropriate height for both 33.3 and 45rpm. To facilitate such, Rega supply different thickness motor mount pads, a thin (dubbed 'double') and thick (dubbed 'triple'), and include a spare hub washer (for use only if required). This is one of the reasons why the DIY'er need follow the supplied installation instructions to the letter, a critical step here being to check the belt positions on the hub at both speeds before the final 'peel and stick'. *

https://www.rega.co.uk/download/24_v_motor_upgrade_kit_Instructions_English.pdf

* One must also have the pulley perfectly centred wrt the plinth hole for correct belt tension.
I’m beginning to understand why direct-drive turntables are making a comeback...

I could not believe that video!

That is astonishing! So well produced, a Rega dealer and they get the central point of the video complacently wrong. Was it put up on Thursday?? No, it's been up for months and no one from the shop has realized it's wrong.

It's quite an important lesson. This isn't just about them picking up an instruction incorrectly. Even if you'd never seen a Rega turntable before in your life, as long as you have the tiniest bit of mechanical understanding, you're gonna know that's wrong. So how can all the guys from this shop not know it's wrong?

Because the kids who were bright enough to become engineers do not leave school and become the kids in the Hi-Fi shops! They're building bridges and fixing submarines. If you have any technical understanding at all, the majority of the people who work in Hi-Fi shops are less technically capable than you are! Keep this in mind the next time you're asking them for advice.

You are welcome, Phil.

Let us know how it comes along.

BTW, I hear you re the sun shining. Donald Fagen is sounding superb doing I.G.Y. (from 'The Nightfly') in the early evening sunshine over here right now.
Can't go wrong with "The Nightfly", one of my long-time favourites ;)

Funnily enough, Steely Dan records are often held up as having great SQ. There are notable exceptions ("Can't Buy A Thrill", "Aja", "Gaucho") but the rest I find a bit dull sounding on vinyl these days. Maybe it's just me?

I’m beginning to understand why direct-drive turntables are making a comeback...
I have owned five direct drives in my time, four original Technics SL1200 MkII's and one of the new Technics SL1200GR's. Never had a single issue with any of them.

My dilemma is a wall-mounted Rega suits the aesthetics of my living room set up best. I'd be nervous about wall mounting a Techie - given the quality of our house build it could bring the wall down! :eek:

advertisement

Back