advertisement

Rega Modification/Techno weight

Wow, you’ve just made my point. Really no need to get so worked up about this.

I'm not worked up. You're the one who called people like me boring, predictable, arrogant and fan-boys. Your exact words. If you disagree with what I said that's fine but please explain why? Just being abusive isn't constructive.

I'm not a Rega fan-boy. They make products I don't like but that's their choice of direction, not because they don't know what they're doing. Grabbing Rega's coat tails and selling slight modifications is easy money. Someone else has already put in the hard shift. If these guys are so clever, let's see them make a complete arm from scratch that's better than a Rega arm at the same price point?

Like I said, you're free to big up the modders if you like but back it up with some facts? Or logic at least.

Is there any agreed logic to turntable design other than that platters are usually round? :)

Indeed, plinth seem to have variants

new-metallica-turntable-project.jpg

I'm not worked up. You're the one who called people like me boring, predictable, arrogant and fan-boys. Your exact words. If you disagree with what I said that's fine but please explain why? Just being abusive isn't constructive.

Here are my exact words and context:
So utterly predictable, boring and arrogant from the usual Rega fanboys and dealer. Only Rega knows how to design tonearms and turntables and everyone else is wrong.

Allow me to rephrase this: It's boring when the same arguments are made whenever there is even a whiff of dissent or views contrary to the Rega approach. Why the need to go into attack mode when all I was doing was sharing my own experiences of the Technoweight? Why the need to beat up Rega modders (again)? You say you're not worked up but you do come across as rather angry.

Here's the arrogance:

Ok, so either the modders are geniuses and Rega are idiots, or Rega know best. You can't have both ways.

You may have noticed that all of the people selling modified Rega arms use the RB250-series as the base? Many claim that the spring tracking force arrangement is evil and the bearing arrangement is better as the bearing boss is supported on both sides. You've seen that, yeah? If this it true, then Rega have to be idiots, as they only use this bearing and tracking force arrangement on their entry level arm. The fools.

Well I contend that the modders are full of shite. And here is why.

So Rega don't know what they are doing? Some guy in a shed with a lathe knows better? What Sonddek has done with the Supatrack is impressive, had an original idea then did the hard thing and brought it to market, but taking an already great product, changing something minor then selling it as your own? Give me a break.

The OP was about the effect of the Technoweight. The sub-text is whether Rega arms can be improved. No one even said Rega didn't know what they were doing. So what if others are selling modified Rega arms? Should this be banned? That's the chip on your shoulder.

I mentioned Origin Live and Funk. Are Mark Baker and Arthur K full of shite? What about Jeff Spall at Audiomods? All produce their own arms but previously modded Rega arms. Hi-fi is a broad church and I prefer to be agnostic and open to discussion rather than dogmatic.

I am pleased that you think the product has brought an improvement.

Perhaps my ears are not that good anymore :).

I don't "think" it has brought an improvement. It has brought a very obvious improvement in the bass region. Punchier, tighter and better defined bass. In other areas of sound it made no difference. It wasn't something you needed to strain yourself to hear, quite the opposite. And that was through very modest speakers at the time (Quad 21L). This, together with two weights for cartridges of very different weight and precision/ease of use of tecnoweight's VTF mechanism made it a worthwhile thing for me. Each to their own.

I have three arms, 2 x 250 and a 300. Only one 250 is in daily use. When I bought it, it had the plastic stub and dubious counterweight. I used it like this to replace a Lenco stock arm. The Rega was better, but not by a long way. Then I replaced the stub and c/w with steel ones. And a sea change. It was much better in every respect (cartridge was a Goldring 1042). It was this sea change that convinced me that the arm was as important as the cartridge in producing a convincing sound. I was, at this time, developing a new plinth for a Goldring G99, so this may have contributed to the huge improvement in sound quality. Now I have bought an Iceni counterweight, and I'm not convinced it is as good as the steel version. It is not de-coupled, the steel one is.

I'm not a Rega fan-boy. They make products I don't like but that's their choice of direction, not because they don't know what they're doing. Grabbing Rega's coat tails and selling slight modifications is easy money. Someone else has already put in the hard shift. If these guys are so clever, let's see them make a complete arm from scratch that's better than a Rega arm at the same price point?

Like I said, you're free to big up the modders if you like but back it up with some facts? Or logic at least.

With this logic, no-one can make better arms than Rega. But as Mr Pig found our the hard way, Rega can be beaten. So why not in modding their own arms?

I’m sure I read somewhere that Michell use Rega arms because they are so bloody and it would cost so much to design an arm to better it, so why bother. This makes sense to me, It’s a bit like the automotive industry, manufacturers share components (engines, gearboxes, and even entire vehicles) all the time. They just badge them up or wrap the entire vehicle with different body work. It’s all about saving time and money by not reinventing the wheel.

I’m sure I read somewhere that Michell use Rega arms because they are so bloody and it would cost so much to design an arm to better it, so why bother. This makes sense to me, It’s a bit like the automotive industry, manufacturers share components (engines, gearboxes, and even entire vehicles) all the time. They just badge them up or wrap the entire vehicle with different body work. It’s all about saving time and money by not reinventing the wheel.
Extending your analogy further, Dan, one could say that J. A. Michell stuck their name on Transcriptors decks because they were so bloody good.

advertisement

Back