advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

very nice. its not in idea position as its on a side board type unit in our dinning room with amphion argon 1 and a rega p1. got plenty of drive and it all sounds great together even though the source is pretty entry level compared to the rest. shes away for a week soon with work so might start moving stuff around see what its like with my R3 metas and my Technics 1500c and my audio lad 9000cdt

Would be most interested to hear your views in more detail if you get a chance. Very few reviews of the 230. Does it run hot too, or could you stack other equipment on top (a rega NEO PSU unit )?

Thanks to this thread, I have an io on its way to me. It will be powering Eclipse td510 speaker's, and maybe some mark audio alpair 10.3s in bass reflex boxes too. I already own a few amps of various types

I just dropped my Brio (2017 version) into Living Room System B and what a difference it's made. I'd been using a Denon DM-41 DAB to drive a pair of Kralk Audio BC-30s and although the Denon has been good enough, the BC-30s always sounded thin, a little too thin; this wasn't so much of an issue as this system is for bass-lite, early morning listening anyway. But thanks to the Brio, the BC-30s are sounding much fuller while still performing as perfect bass-lite speakers for early morning listening. The Brio has a better headphone output as well so that's a bonus.

Oh, the Brio and the BC-30s are a great tonal match as the BC-30s are bright and bass-lite while Brio is top light and bottom heavy as it were, at least compared to the IO which I used to own. Indeed, I actually bought the Brio last July to replace the IO as amp for these exact speakers... but plans changed when my Tannoys ended up in the bedroom. But at least that's them back together again and sounding bang on.

Have you tried the Brio with the KLH 5s?
I haven't. The word on the web is that the KLHs are quite responsive to amplifier and any tonal balance it imparts. With that in mind I reckon it would be a good tonal match as the KLHs can get very bright; I run mine with -1.5db treble/mid attenuation.

Its my understanding Rega amplifiers of recent release are much better than 25 years old ones.
I never heard the old ones. I didn't really care what they sounded like as I thought they looked ridiculous. Call me shallow but I never wanted to own one. I've had the IO and Brio-R here and think they're both excellent.

I never heard the old ones. I didn't really care what they sounded like as I thought they looked ridiculous. Call me shallow but I never wanted to own one. I've had the IO and Brio-R here and think they're both excellent.
I heard them a few times, often in A/Bs with Naim 2s or 3s. The original Brio and Elex were fine - just a bit bland and weedy sounding. The original Elicit was the best amp they made in the 90s and there was a lot going on in that chassis - twin transformers etc - so it wasn't the most reliable. Getting Bateman in and rethinking it really paid off for them (and us).

advertisement

Back