advertisement

Rega introduce the Naia turntable

I disagree
Most SME I have seen looks clumpy terrible
Avid not my cup
LP12, I bought my first in the 70'ies, its a classic looker
I didn't like SL1200 back then, now I do and they sound awesome.
Avid definitely look better made than the Rega equivalent, just better finished. I agree that the SME’s look functional but you can’t really argue with the build quality & finish. The 10 is probably their best looker.

In my experience, folks who have become sensitive to what Linn & Rega decks have done for vinyl playback who then audition some SME deck usually report back as having heard sounds from it devoid of actual music.

Just to add a data point, went from an LP12 to SME 20/2, and came to the opposite conclusion.

They could have spent all the money they wanted on engineering and R&D, but twelve grand for this is still moronic.The solstice for 15k or whatever - people can't even sell them for £9k sealed box. Overpriced.
Fact of the matter is you picked decks -P8, P10, NAIA- that you couldn't build in your mothers basement even if you really wanted to. Exotic materials utilized in harmony such as Carbon Fiber/Phenolic resins, Tancast, Ceramic Oxides, Titanium... The ceramics alone -platter, braces, bearing, spindle- would cost upwards of 100,000 pounds to produce -if these aerospace companys even wanted to deal with you at all, or even answer your call- in final form not to mention the industrial machinery and operator/assembly expertise used to manufacture and finalize the ceramic oxide bits. Then there's the first of it's kind ceramic bearing and spindle matched together as a pair throughout the manufacturing process and so on. But first you need to make prototypes -such as the working prototype Naiad- over ten years ago and then work from that concept again & again to bring costs down, create relationships, the Naia wasn't created overnight.

Fact of the matter is you picked decks -P8, P10, NAIA- that you couldn't build in your mothers basement even if you wanted to. Exotic materials utilized in harmony such as Carbon Fiber/Phenolic resins, Tancast, Ceramic Oxides, Titanium... The ceramics alone -platter, braces, bearing, spindle- would cost upwards of 100,000 pounds to produce -if these companys even wanted to deal with you at all, or even answer your call- in final form not to mention the industrial machinery and operator expertise used to manufacture and finalize the ceramic oxide bits. Then there's the first of it's kind ceramic bearing and spindle matched together as a pair throughout the manufacturing process and so on. But first you need to make prototypes -Naiad- ten years ago and work from that, create relationships, the Naia wasn't built over night.
Thanks for your post tpetsch with what you say about the material cost with the bearing makes sense and the huge amount of R @ D involved over the years .The titanium used in the arm.The Naid seems bedecked with exotic materials.
And getting an understanding about the material cost in true Rega fashion offers great VFM ...not heard it yet but all I have read have been an outstanding product.
The Radikal power supply for the LP12 is nearly £ 7000 and the Keel sub chassis £3300 ...so nearly the price of a Naid on those LP12 upgrades alone ..you get a powersupply with the Naid ...enough said .
Yeah a really exciting Rega product and with the rumour of a pre and power amp coming out early next year
Roy and Terry and the staff must be proud of the new products.

It's a breath of fresh air following the trolling on this thread and his lack of articulation not backed up with anything more than his usual 2 lines .

Last edited:
Well done, let’s hope he doesn’t come back using another account, they guy was a bully pure and simple
I blocked him ages ago. I’m happy to read opinions I don’t agree with. But I don’t think I ever read a serious post by him. On the balance of probability, he was a troll.

Hard to imagine the Naia with all the years of development and how different it is from other turntables that it is not likely the best sounding turntable out there.

Hard to imagine the Naia with all the years of development and how different it is from other turntables that it is not likely the best sounding turntable out there.
One of the best decks I've heard were a Vertere, if its up there its amazing.

One of the best decks I've heard were a Vertere, if its up there its amazing.

I also saw their top TT ( Verere) in the flesh the same day l saw The Rega and that looked chuffing amazing that did, a proper work of art.
o_O

🎅

Take the Osiris Amp, it’s £7500 but I’ve compared it personally to a £12k set-up that’s very popular and common (a lot of people like it very much) and the Osiris wiped the floor with it. It was that good that Rega actually sold a hell of a lot more then they expected too which is probably why the price hasn’t risen that significantly.

Again with the Aura Phono stage, I have one after multiple box swaps with some costing a lot more but I settled on this, not for the price, but for what it actually performs like.

I have heard that the new Pre/Power that’s been spoke about will be coming out in the spring and they are trying their best to get the RRP as low as possible, that’s dedication to their customer’s I think.

Personally I don't think Rega will release a separate pre/power amp combination as it's a limited market and Rega would argue that all one needs is a one box solution, ie the Osiris (although it is fifteen years old next May) or the Aethos. Interestingly Roy Gandy said in a recent video that he prefers the Aethos to the Osiris. He also said a new moving magnet design was ready for release but they hadn't a name for it yet.

Personally I don't think Rega will release a separate pre/power amp combination as it's a limited market and Rega would argue that all one needs is a one box solution, ie the Osiris (although it is fifteen years old next May) or the Aethos. Interestingly Roy Gandy said in a recent video that he prefers the Aethos to the Osiris. He also said a new moving magnet design was ready for release but they hadn't a name for it yet.
In the past few weeks I’ve had multiple reference dealers say the Osiris replacement is being announced in the spring, in the form of a pre/power combo. That said, when it comes to Rega, an announcement and release are 2 different things with around 6-months in between, take the Naia for example.

I’ve not seen that video you mention, is it on YouTube??? Saw one recently where there was a shot of cartridge body’s in a factory Roy was visiting.

Take the Osiris Amp, it’s £7500 but I’ve compared it personally to a £12k set-up that’s very popular and common (a lot of people like it very much) and the Osiris wiped the floor with it. It was that good that Rega actually sold a hell of a lot more then they expected too which is probably why the price hasn’t risen that significantly.

Fully agree with this as i home demd a 300w/ch pre power costing £14,000 against my Osiris and i can only repeat HifiDan in that the Osiris completely wiped the floor with them.

With Roy Gandy saying he prefers the Aethos over the Osiris it would be interesting to discover what speakers he is using. I wonder if he is using RS10 , which are arguably Regas best speaker . I did previously own the RS10 with my Osiris but it was only when i changed my speakers to PMC MB2se that i realised the RS10 were a limiting factor in the system.

In the past few weeks I’ve had multiple reference dealers say the Osiris replacement is being announced in the spring, in the form of a pre/power combo. That said, when it comes to Rega, an announcement and release are 2 different things with around 6-months in between, take the Naia for example.

I’ve not seen that video you mention, is it on YouTube??? Saw one recently where there was a shot of cartridge body’s in a factory Roy was visiting.
Not to stray too far off topic but amusingly I just watched that video the other day, the whole interview is interesting but view beginning at the 6:15 mark -for full context- to see where Roy mentions why he prefers the Aethos "a little more":

Not to stray too far off topic but amusingly I just watched that video the other day, the whole interview is interesting but view beginning at the 6:15 mark -for full context- to see where Roy mentions why he prefers the Aethos "a little more":

Thanks, will watch it in it’s entirety tomorrow.

Re: the mention of Rega having trouble coming up with a name for the new MM, I think 'Elysian' might be apropos. Pays homage to the past, plus leaves open the possibility of similarly heavenly/paradisal adjectives being used as proper nouns for others in a range.

Elysian​
adjective
relating to or characteristic of heaven or paradise.​
Similar:​
heavenly; paradisal; paradisiacal; celestial; empyrean; superlunary; divine​

advertisement

Back