advertisement

Rega flagship design studies

We, like most manufacturers, get design bods submitting design ideas without us necessarily commissioning them. Given that the reference series CD player and amp have been around for over two years now I think this may be "old news."

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Hi Paul,

I didn't say something about these studies being fresh news or "old news". I just found them and wanted to share 'em since they still might be of interest for someone...

Best regards

Rad

More importantly someone has the much sought-after extended remix of Cage's most memorable work.

i8-2.jpg

If this is the company that designed the Isis, they should be fired. It is one ugly piece of kit.

BTW I also find the Naim CD555 butt ugly as well. Probably designed by the same company.

Actually the current design is all our own work !!

I can confirm, however, that we had no input in the design of the CD555 ;-)

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

I meant no offense, Paul, but I don't like the look of the current Rega gear. Glad you took it the right way. To each his own.

The Rega turntables, on the other hand, are beautiful.

I meant no offense, Paul, but I don't like the look of the current Rega gear. Glad you took it the right way. To each his own.

The Rega turntables, on the other hand, are beautiful.

Must be your age; the new Rega gear looks fantastic! A brilliant move away from the boring flat brushed aluminium boxes. Far more appealing to the younger generation.

I can confirm the new Brio-R & Apollo-R + DAC are wonderfull looking

no less

Sound is no slouch either

Pricing is a giant killer

Wish they would consider all the red lights though

Recent RP6 are cool as are old P9, not very fond of the RS line though, the bigger the worse.

If this is the company that designed the Isis, they should be fired. It is one ugly piece of kit.

BTW I also find the Naim CD555 butt ugly as well. Probably designed by the same company.

To me the Isis is absolutely fantastic. It's built like a tank and the way it plays music is just addictive and amazing! It's also better looking in reality than most of the pictures i've seen about it.

Actually the current design is all our own work !!

I can confirm, however, that we had no input in the design of the CD555 ;-)

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Now that was funny...

I love the way the latest Rega products look. Keep up the good work!

I never liked the old 'sway-backed' design of the Apollo/Jupiter/Saturn players. Didn't like the controls that matched the symbols, thinking them a bit 'Fisher-Price'. Not over-keen on the squishy, rubbery feel of those controls, either.

Then I heard one (a Jupiter) and instantly the looks improved dramatically. ;) Had that for a couple of years, followed by the Saturn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and is more than skin-deep. [/cliche mode off]

I think the old sway-backed design looks better as the new look has a bit too much plastic ! hoping the new elicit will be a looker as may well buy it

I agree that the design of the new electronics is not good. Before Rega had an elegant minimalistic design. Now this is only true for the turntables ( and possibly for the loudspeakers). BTW do not change the design of the Elicit, it is brilliant in its current version.
Best regards
Tobias

Have you seen one in 'the metal'? Photographs don't do it justice and the build quality & finish are amazing. It even sounds good - :D

Just be careful if you pick one up.*

*Good luck with that.

Have you seen one in 'the metal'? Photographs don't do it justice and the build quality & finish are amazing. It even sounds good - :D

Yes I have, and I think it's ugly. It's not a comment about its ergonomics, build quality or sound. Just looks. If I were buying a CD player I'd definitely audition it but the aesthetics are offputting.

Maybe my age is showing but that's OK.

I prefer the industrial finish of the old gear. All this gloss black will date faster than a flagship Fiat.

advertisement

Back