advertisement

Rega Exons Mira or Cursa?

paolo191

pfm Member
I ve just hooked up sh pair of Rega Exons to my Mira 2000 and am mighty impressed with the results. My all Rega set up is in a large room with a double height ceiling and the Mira was struggling, particulaly with the P7

In laymans terms what will the addition of a dedicated pre amp bring to the sound? And would it be as dramatic an improvement as the addition of the Exons?

No funds for trip to dealer so would be looking for Cursa at the right price or can anybody suggest any bargain preamps that would work with the Rega sound?

More of everything, don't expect more hi-fi however, just more music. The cursa free's up the exon to get on with it in a way that the mira pre just does not. Don't worry too much if its a cursa 2000 or a cursa 3. The 3 is better than the 2000, but not enough to get up tight about.

How do you mean the Mira was struggling with the P7?

How about bi-amping the Mira with the Exons? Looking at the Mira3 manual (on the rega site) you can hook up the Exons to the pre-amp out enabling you to connect the tweeters to the Mira and bass/mid to the Exons. I presume this would work with your Mira. Your only cost being cables.

How about bi-amping the Mira with the Exons? Looking at the Mira3 manual (on the rega site) you can hook up the Exons to the pre-amp out enabling you to connect the tweeters to the Mira and bass/mid to the Exons. I presume this would work with your Mira. Your only cost being cables.

Dave, do you think the ELA's that are being driven need the Mira/exons, I would have thoght the xons alone would have been more then enough?

hi Colin,

My mistake. Thought the speakers were R7's for some reason. Still possible to bi-amp if the Ela's are dual terminal. Worth a punt IMO.

I would expect the Cursa/Exons will be better than Mira/Exons bi-amped.

I found the Cursa to be much better than the Mira pre section , so can only imagine any gains to be had by bi-amping will be diluted by the Mira pre section.

I thought the P7 (before the Exons) sounded flat, I would resort to turning the volume up and it 'struggled' to cope. This was not as apparent with the Planet.
This was dissapointing as I had expected the TT to out perform the Cd player.
Two years on the Exons have made the difference to both sources and at last the P7 is starting to shine.

Then you need to get a cursa with the MM stage. I felt that the MM stage in the cursa held its own against some fairly expensive stand alone stages when I was using it. The move to MC did prove well worthwile, but it finished up costing a fair few quid to get the sound I wanted.

advertisement

Back