advertisement

Rega Elys 2 is back

I believe the word 'Yay' requires interjecting here, Dave.

So, Yay!

P.S. Mmmm, piece of candy.

I'm surpriced they didn't discontinue their entire entry level range, followed by some Audio technica OEM based alternatives.

There's much more profit in making coils and customer based majority would want easy replacement stylus at some point anyway.

It seems that even Linn, Roksan and Vertere have choosed this solution lately.

Has anyone ever compared the Elys with the Carbon, which has the advantage of the replaceable stylus (given the fragility of the Rega arm tags)?

Or better to move to VM95/VM5XX series?

My Elys sounds muffled and the bass is unnaturally bloated.
I like the Exact, but it’s too much expensive for what you have, and changing the whole cartridge every time is a PITA.

Last edited:
Never had a good Elys, the Exact is better but can be a tad grainy, I like rega as a company and am delighted with my Planar 8 and now there are companies that make cartridges that are a lot shallower in height, Excalibur and Skyanalog being two, although MC but at least Excalibur provides some high output alternatives and no need for shims.

The £175 price tag would buy you a VM95SH (Shibata), or a VM95ML and enough change to buy an LP. That said, I was impressed by an, almost at the end of its life, Elys 2 that arrived on a turntable I bought, I think that may have had something to do with its 7 mV output compared to the 4 mV of the VM95 range.

I'm surpriced they didn't discontinue their entire entry level range, followed by some Audio technica OEM based alternatives.

There's much more profit in making coils and customer based majority would want easy replacement stylus at some point anyway.

It seems that even Linn, Roksan and Vertere have choosed this solution lately.
Still on this, are we, Per?

None of the three other companies that you mention have ever actually made a phono cartridge, therefore, your saying that they have chosen this solution lately is a bit ironic, to say the least.

The £175 price tag would buy you a VM95SH (Shibata), or a VM95ML and enough change to buy an LP. That said, I was impressed by an, almost at the end of its life, Elys 2 that arrived on a turntable I bought, I think that may have had something to do with its 7 mV output compared to the 4 mV of the VM95 range.

With a cost saving of £36 if partnered with a new Planar 3. Way to go if I was to downsize.

Still on this, are we, Per?

None of the three other companies that you mention have ever actually made a phono cartridge, therefore, your saying that they have chosen this solution lately is a bit ironic, to say the least.

Ha-ha Craig:), I stand corrected then (for the time beeing at least)
Bet they have several options on the test bench though.
When Bias was discontinued(replaced by Rega Carbon which is a rebranded Audio Technica cartridge) I thought Elys next, maybe they have a number of BOM stock parts to be used first, fair enough.

As for the other companies, what I meant was they have own branded OEM Audio Technica solutions, lately Linn Koil, Roksan Dana and Vertere Magneto.
if that makes more sence.

You can tweak a Rega Carbon by fitting a Thakker EPO-E stylus (or a Dual DN251E) to it (EPO-E not a bad bonded elliptical diamond in my opinion and mine is similar quality in finish and 'sound' to the newish AT95E I have).

I'm not a fan of Regas own UK made MM's and never have been I'm afraid since they were first launched. A lot of work goes into making them (they used to be basically hand made, or were when I visited the factory), but the performance to me is a little old fashioned, especially if digital is a main source, sorry.

A lot of work goes into making them

That makes sense in letting wages into coil manufacture instead as they have a much higher retail price level.

I believe retail for a Bias was around €100-125, cost should not be much more than 10%.
Their automatic machinery for various operations, depreciate as time goes by.

If they purchased ten-thousands of Carbon, price would presumably be lower.

advertisement

Back