advertisement

Rega Elicit Vs Electrocompaniet

TenhoFrio

pfm Member
I listened the Rega RS5 with a Rega Elicit and that’s the sound I loved but I spotted a big ass Electrocompaniet ECI-4 used with 4 months warranty.

I'm not sure I should risk for the amp with more power or play safe and stick with the one I listened ?

Rega Elicit:

Elecrocompaniet ECI-4:
Output Impedance (20 Hz – 20 kHz) ……………….. 80 A
THD (measured at 1 kHz half power, 8 Ohm) …… < 0,007 %
THD (measured at 1 kHz -1 dB, 8 Ohm) ………….. < 0,008 %
Input sensitivity for rated output single ended ….. 1,4V
Input sensitivity for rated output balanced ……….. 0,7V
Input sensitivity for rated output HT ………………… 6,5V
Rated output power
10 % change in line voltage will give approximately 20 % change in output power.
8 Ohm2 x 120 W
4 Ohm2 x 200 W
2 Ohm2 x 350 W
Power consumption (no load or signal) 160 W
The ECI 4 is DC coupled from input to output.

The simple answer is listen to the Electrocompaniet as well and buy the one which sounds best to you.

The other answer is , do you think the Electro is better because its higher output and looks 'big ass'.
The Elicit is actually rated at 80w and not 49w. Looking at the specs you quote those appear to be from the Brio3 , what did you actually listen too.
If it was the Brio3 , then do actually try the Elicit as well.

The Electro look far better specified than any Rega amp so that's the one I'd chose if the cost is about the same.

Don't worry about too much power - you can never really have too much but the effects of too little are potentially more damaging. Just use common sense with the listening level.

Electrocompaniet, apart from their first generation two channel pre/power is NO WAY near a Brio-R in performance, maybe slightly more powerfull but in the musical department they are far lacking on natural sounding IMO. (Specs unmentioned - since when do specs decide performance ?)

Beside this, Electrocompaniet have had ownership changed several times, not sure how this reflect customer service & reliability but I'm quite sure Rega has no such issues.

The older Brio 3 is fine but the new Brio-R is better and my Rega favorite amp.

The recent Elicit was never my cup of tea but I read it need several months replay to run in, I didn't had this patience so take my words with pinch of salt.

Well in that case .... just as specs will not tell you how it sounds [agreed per] or if you like it i would surgest sticking with the Elicit as you loved it.

Not that i would say take the word of reviews either , but a recent mag comparison of 6 int and pre/power amps included the Elicit and the Electro ECI 5 Mk2 . The Elicit was rated group winner. Its a really great amp.

Hello TenhoFrio, I never heard of Electrocompaniet, but the Rega Elicit is a cracking amp with tank like build quality, and excellent customer service.

Please be aware that the Elicit (current model) doesn’t sound like any other model (Brio, Mira, and Cursa / power amp) so please audition before making any decisions.

I’m listening to mine right now, and it really delivers all the musical goodies and then some ... it also has an excellent internal phono stage (if you take the option),

Happy shopping,
Brian

I have zero regrets with the Elicit, and I just added a Rega Ios to the mix.

Has yours settled down, or is still developing?

I’m very please with mine,
Brian

No , its fully settled.

As you , no regrets , not bad for a 'theoretical downgrade' :D from Cursa/Exons.

I peviously regarded the Saturn as my all time favourite Rega product , but it will now have to share the honors with the Elicit. A great pairing.

Sorry for the thread hijack Tenho , although you may find it of interest.

Michael.

Electrocompaniet, apart from their first generation two channel pre/power is NO WAY near a Brio-R in performance, maybe slightly more powerfull but in the musical department they are far lacking on natural sounding IMO. (Specs unmentioned - since when do specs decide performance ?)

Beside this, Electrocompaniet have had ownership changed several times, not sure how this reflect customer service & reliability but I'm quite sure Rega has no such issues.

The older Brio 3 is fine but the new Brio-R is better and my Rega favorite amp.

The recent Elicit was never my cup of tea but I read it need several months replay to run in, I didn't had this patience so take my words with pinch of salt.
This is rubbish.The electrocompaniet is up there with the high end and is one of the best.

Have you actually heard Electrocompaniet? Certainly doesn't sound like you did - beyond valve, I can't think of more musical amplifiers.

advertisement

Back