advertisement

Rega Elicit-R with Fyne Audio F501 Speakers

Pete27

Hi, has anyone any experience or thoughts on this possible combination , Rega Elicit-R amplifier with Fyne Audio F501 Speakers ? (or Elex R / Fyne Audio F501).
I haven't found any discussions on this combination, but the Fyne Audio F501 review on WHF advises careful amplifier partnering as the Fyne Audio tweeter can be easily provoked !
Any feedback will be most welcome..

P.

Fyne use a variety of amplifiers when designing their speakers and Rega is one of them. They feel that Rega amps are a good representation of solid state amplifiers.

So if Fyne use Rega amps when designing their speakers, I think you'll be ok.

Many thanks for this information. I will try to audition them soon, possibly take my own amp into the shop.
They're easy to drive speakers and they seem quite forgiving of what's in front of them. I also think the 501 is a nice speaker and well suited to UK rooms. For the money I think they're great

Fyne 500 range are really nice if a bit dark" sounding loudspeakers in my experience.
Could be a sort of liberation from many nowadays analytical super revealing speakers.
I'm un-aware what the magazine refer to as tweeter provokeness?

I have seen Fyne "SP" are much more expensive editions, maybe those are the UK made ones ?

I believe there's a new Elicit out now - which I haven't heard, maybe your getting a good "sales" deal or allready have the /R ?
My old Elicit/R had a nice volume dial with light, something I miss on my Aethos.

Finally your not mention souce. ?

Hi, has anyone any experience or thoughts on this possible combination , Rega Elicit-R amplifier with Fyne Audio F501 Speakers ? (or Elex R / Fyne Audio F501).
I haven't found any discussions on this combination, but the Fyne Audio F501 review on WHF advises careful amplifier partnering as the Fyne Audio tweeter can be easily provoked !
Any feedback will be most welcome..

P.

Off to your favorite Hifi Emporium for a demo/demos is the way forward l believe- good luck and have fun.:)

I have seen Fyne "SP" are much more expensive editions, maybe those are the UK made ones ?
The SP are so different I think they should have a different name. My son has 502SP and they share no working parts with the 502. The drivers, crossover, base and terminal panel are all different, most of it being from the 702.

Well folks, I auditioned the Fyne F501 speakers today, these were connected to a Marantz Model 50 amp and Arcam CD5 player. The speakers are good looking and well built, the demo speakers today were gloss black (very smart indeed). When listening, at first I noticed good deep tight bass and really impressive levels of detail, coupled with great clarity of sound. Soundstage was also good from what I was able to judge in the time available. However my main criticism is that the treble certainly is on the bright side, giving a definite sharpness to some instruments and noticeable sibilance on occasion to singing voices both male & female. Perhaps the striking levels of detail & clarity come at the expense of some brightness & sibilance ?
I had hoped to audition in-store using my Elicit-R, but this was not possible, but I do wonder if the treble / sibilance issue would have just been the same.
I'm still not decided on purchasing these, yes they are a good buy and would be nice objects to own, but that treble !! ...?
I will listen to the same tracks again through my Rega RX5's just to check how they handle the same music.

However my main criticism is that the treble certainly is on the bright side, giving a definite sharpness to some instruments and noticeable sibilance on occasion to singing voices both male & female.
They're built to a price obviously but I've heard them a few times, driven with both solid state and valve amps, and I didn't find them unduly bright. The bass is very impressive for the size and price, they're fairly transparent and the top end is crisp but not out of balance. I'd be very wary of judging speakers in a totally unfamiliar system as it could easily be something else causing the treble to be rough.

To be honest I'd rather have a speaker that's a bit hot than one that's dull. You can do a lot to tame bight treble. Cables, system matching, even simply putting the grilles on. If a speaker is dull there is not a lot you can do about it.

The 501s I've heard were gloss white and they looked great.

They're built to a price obviously but I've heard them a few times, driven with both solid state and valve amps, and I didn't find them unduly bright. The bass is very impressive for the size and price, they're fairly transparent and the top end is crisp but not out of balance. I'd be very wary of judging speakers in a totally unfamiliar system as it could easily be something else causing the treble to be rough.

To be honest I'd rather have a speaker that's a bit hot than one that's dull. You can do a lot to tame bight treble. Cables, system matching, even simply putting the grilles on. If a speaker is dull there is not a lot you can do about it.

The 501s I've heard were gloss white and they looked great.

Also some folk like a 'darker' presentation- you are correct there are tons of things to do to tame treble. đź‘Ť

advertisement

Back