advertisement

Rega Elex-R - hot to touch?

ive got a Rega elex-r purchased used a month ago in excellent condition that I’ve noticed runs quite hot in its right side panel whether it’s amplifying anything or just idling. Is this normal? I had a Brio-R before that got a bit warm but never this hot. It still runs fine and sounds great but is this something to be concerned about? It’s sitting on top of a console with nothing placed directly on or beside it.

How hot is ‘hot’? If it’s too hot to hold your hand against comfortably, I would certainly get it checked out, but if you can stick a thermometer on it, so much the better.

Excuse the OT, but is there an app that can scan the topic list for 'Rega' and if successful ping Alexa to verbally tell me to put popcorn in the microwave?

The power amplification circuitry of Elex-R is laid out in a very symmetrical hard left, hard right arrangement; a lovely lateral inversion, in fact. Given a very noticeable temperature difference, I would expect there to possibly be a quiescent current adjustment issue on the right channel of yours. Best to consult with your dealer, as they should be equipped to diagnose and adjust as necessary.

If it is very hot to the touch, I would suggest keeping it turned off until you have opportunity to have it seen to.

rega_elex_r_inside.jpg

Last edited:
Rega are very good people to deal with, but you need to go via the dealer.

I have had my Elex-R a couple of years now & it does not get particularly hot whereas my Elicit-R does. Suggest you check it out with Rega.

advertisement

Back