advertisement

Rega Elex R & Elicit R

samz

pfm Member
Anyone noticed the difference in soundstage presentation of these two amplifiers.

I just had a listen to these two amplifiers in a demo listening to a variety of recordings that I am familiar with.

I noticed that the Elex R to my ears provided a very impressive soundstage, with depth from behind the speakers and in front of the speakers also. It was really effective and added to the enjoyment of what I was listening to.

I was expeciting the Elicit R to be equally effective at producing the depth of soundstage produced by the Elex R but it's presentation was different. The Elicit R was more refined across the frequency range and had more control than the cheaper Elex R.

I was impressed by both amplifiers but interested to hear if anyone else has compared them too and especially how the soundstage presentation differed.

I always preferred the Elicit-R because to me it sounds more open and although it may sound silly) to some I prefer an amp with a well implemented digital volume control

I always preferred the Elicit-R because to me it sounds more open and although it may sound silly) to some I prefer an amp with a well implemented digital volume control

It's just that with the Elex R the soundstage appeared to be a lot deeper with it beginning in front of the speakers and ending way behind the speakers on some recordings. Same system, speakers and cables used but it was quite impressive.
I was expecting a similar soundstage effect from the Elicit R but its strengths are elsewhere with greater refinement.
Good point about the remote of the Elicit R the volume control is very precise when adjusting.

I do agree that the Elex presents a larger sound stage, I think you're right that the Elicit-R is somewhat narrow in comparison. Personally I prefer the Marantz PM-8005 or PM-14S1 SE to either amp, but that's down to personal taste.

I've now upgraded through the Rega range, from Brio r (I previously owned a Rega Mira 3) then Elex r, but when I then (accidentally) auditioned the Elicit r, despite feeling that I was happy with the Elex r, I could immediately see which was the more preferable amp.
I felt that the Elex r was coarser sounding, by comparison to the Elicit, the Elicit being more refined and less hurried sounding as a result, though still with that foot tapping engagement. The Elicit's soundstage is wider, and the extra detail gives a greater sense of realism to vocals etc. By comparison I felt that Elex was not revealing some information. In the AB comparison, my attention drifted when the Elex r was switched on, whilst the Elicit drew me into the performance.
This is a relative comparison, of coarse, and I believe the Elex r is a wonderful amplifier, and provided me with the Rega sound I had enjoyed from the Brio r, but with much better dynamics. The Elicit r is also a nice match for the Saturn r CD player which I purchased as an upgrade for my Apollo r.
I also believe that both amps need to be warmed up for a number of hours (until fully warm) before they sound their best.

I just noticed this post and have to add that I totally agree with SAMZ. I am currently using the Elex R with an original Saturn CD & Celestion A1 speakers. The soundstage is outstanding being wide and deep. It just adds to the feeling of being there in the venue. The amp in the context of this system is a very easy listen (I can easily sit a couple of hours without ear fatigue) and has superb timing and drive. The bass also is excellent. This area is a big improvement over The Brio R I used to own. All in all an excellent product at a fair price.

Anybody compared these to the Naim Olive range? I've heard these are more similar to the olive range than the classic stuff.

Having heard both the Elex R and the Elicit R, the Elicit R does provide some extra refinement at the higher frequencies and some additional grip on the bass, was quite laid back sounding in my system.
The Elex R was less refined but was so much fun listening to some of my record collection being presented differently with its bigger soundstage. Great amp at its price point I think.

I've since heard the Heed Obelisk Si Mk2 integrated and also with its matching X2 power supply. Overall very impressed and even more so once the X2 was added. Similar dramatic soundstage that I found with the Elex R but a smoother more controlled upper frequency, fantastic midrange too.

Heed have a new Mk3 Obelisk Si which I have not yet heard and it is more powerful than the outgoing Mk2 version.

I do agree that the Elex presents a larger sound stage, I think you're right that the Elicit-R is somewhat narrow in comparison. Personally I prefer the Marantz PM-8005 or PM-14S1 SE to either amp, but that's down to personal taste.

Why do you prefer the Marantz? :)

advertisement

Back