advertisement

Rega DAC not showing 192k sampling

Garth

pfm Member
Hello All,

I am using a node 2i streamer with a Rega DAC. The highest sampling that is ever indicated by the red led is 88.2-96k even when I am streaming high res 192K Qobuz files. The dac is connected to the node via digital co-ax input #3. Is there something wrong with my DAC?

The Rega DAC is not the problem, it’s just showing you the bitrate it’s receiving from the Node. I don’t know the first thing about Nodes, but I do know that the 192kHz signal is being sampled down somewhere.

Are you getting the same outcome with optical?

Have you checked the settings in the Bluesound app? It may be configured to limit digital output to 96kHz

How are you streaming, if you are using the Qobuz app via IOS or Android 96Khz is the most you will get

out of interest did you find any appreciable difference in your new higher resolution?

I am still a very recent adopter of Qobuz. Still on a trial basis so I never really got to know any of the high res files well enough at the 88.2-96k setting to form any kind of an opinion of if they sounded much different at 192K. I am going to guess that any difference would be subtle at most. Other here I am sure would be much more able to give an opinion of this. I figure more resolution can't be a bad thing so I'll gladly take as high resolution as is being offered. I find i general that Qobus sounds better than Tidal to my ears but I still have to figure out if it sounds sufficiently better for me to ditch Tidal and their superior interface with my BluOS app which is the only way I can stream Qobuz to my Node 2i without subscribing to Roon and I prefer not to do that.

It’s probably my decrepit old ears with the ever present joy that is tinnitus but I can’t tell any difference between Tidal and Hi-res Qobuz.

Should ditch one really :confused:

Having not A/B'd I have to say that my very unscientific impression is that Qobuz sounds better than Tidal - although I still think Tidal sounds good - but Tidal's app is much better, especially the way in integrates with BluOS.

Garth, great that you have solved the "problem" but any chance you could rename the thread as it suggests the issue was with our Dac, cheers, Paul.

Garth, great that you have solved the "problem" but any chance you could rename the thread as it suggests the issue was with our Dac, cheers, Paul.

Thanks Paul! And apologies for that unintentional inference. Totally unintentional. I always assumed that it was something I overlooked which was exactly the case. I could not be happier with my Rega DAC! Can someone here let me know how I can rename the thread? Cheers.

Our resident Rega expert Paul Darwin mentioned that my thread title implied there was something wrong with the DAC. Just to clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my DAC, as the first response indicated it was just reflecting the bitrate it was deceiving from my node. I had not set the setting correctly in my Qobuz app under my musical services in my BluOS app. Worked perfectly as soon as I did.

Not sure how to change the thread title. Happy to do that if someone can tell me how! :)

I love my Rega DAC. It works perfectly and has transformed my digital front end. One of the best sounding and cost effective upgrades I have ever made to my system and a component I would highly recommend - the same as the Rega Planet and Planar 3 I bought many years ago.

You'll be needing a mod to change the thread title.

@Joe P might still be at his station on the bridge.

Suggest 'The Mystery of the Missing Bits'.

advertisement

Back