advertisement

Rega Clamshell amplifiers

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Hello there,
I would appreciate your opinion on Rega Clamshell amps (Elicit, Elex, Brio, Mira and Luna) and Series 3 (Mira and Brio) and how they compare to the new Brio (-R and current models) and Io.

PS: Is any of the clamshell series controllable by remote?

Many thanks.
Mauro

Hello there,
I would appreciate your opinion on Rega Clamshell amps (Elicit, Elex, Brio, Mira and Luna) and Series 3 (Mira and Brio) and how they compare to the new Brio (-R and current models) and Io.

PS: Is any of the clamshell series controllable by remote?

Many thanks.
Mauro

I listened to a clamshell Elicit against a new Elicit R and thought the clamshell the superior amplifier. When I looked at internal photographs, it was quite easy to see that the original Elicit was much more impressive under the skin too. As it had a lot of components in a small-form unit, any original Elicit would need a service/re-cap, IMO.

Hello,
I still have a Mira 2000 in my home office, bought new exactly in 2000. Same case as the 3 Series, but arguably the same as the clamshell Mira internally. It epitomized what was regarded as 'the British sound' here in Belgium around the turn of the century (i.e. beautiful, liquid midrange, subdued low and high ranges). Remote controllable and I am sure the clamshell Mira was too (I have seen pre-2000 Solar remotes). Not heard any Brio iteration, sorry.

They’re all superb amps, especially the original Elicit which is essentially a Hal and two Exons in one box. Great value. Allow for potential servicing though. They’re all over 22 years old now and may well need caps, noisy pots changing etc.

Does anybody knows exactly if any of the clamshell amplifiers can be controlled by remote (and which remote)?

Of the clamshell Rega integrated amps, Mira came with a remote, whereas Elicit, Elex, Brio and Luna were not remote control compatible.

1710215-7fd3db6c-rega-mira-integrated-amp-with-mm-phono-see-photo.jpg

ISTR that clamshell Mira also works with the Solar Universal Remote that came with Cursa and Jupiter clamshell versions.

This would be 'handy' should you wish to include a matching Planet or Jupiter CDP (or even a early Radio R tuner) at some point.

Rega Solar Universal Remote (first version):
Rega-Solar-Universal-Remote-Mk1.jpg

ISTR that clamshell Mira also works with the Solar Universal Remote that came with Cursa and Jupiter clamshell versions.

This would be 'handy' should you wish to include a matching Planet or Jupiter CDP (or even a early Radio R tuner) at some point.

Rega Solar Universal Remote (first version):
Rega-Solar-Universal-Remote-Mk1.jpg
This is not the same remote pictured in your previous post.

This is not the same remote pictured in your previous post.
The remote that was included with clamshell Mira was dedicated to amplifier control only, just as the remote that was initially available as an option for clamshell Planet was dedicated to CDP control only. Shortly thereafter, Rega introduced a 'universal' remote that controlled all remote controllable Rega electronics, and began including this with some components (only Cursa and Jupiter come to mind), and an optional purchase for use with others (Mira, Planet, Radio R).

Rega Clamshell amps circuit boards had issues, not sure if they managed to solve this before next editions.
IME the new range of Rega amps are better than older version.

I had a clamshell Mira around the same time I also had a full Naim system. I remember it as having a recessed, smooth, and PRAT-ty midrange with a depressed treble range and bouncy bass that does not go very deep. I liked it, until one channel blew and I had it repaired by the US rep, who did a poor job, and same channel blowing again.

I then used it as a preamp and it acquitted itself very well, preferring it to the valve pre that I was using around same time. I had a niggle to have the amp section repaired again, this time by an independent tech…who judged it practically unrepairable. Got disgusted by it, and told him to just keep it.

I still like Rega as a company, and I now have an Io that I feel is miles better than the clamshell Mira. Also re-bought a clamshell Planet because I really like the way it looks.

I hade the Rega Elicit second edition clamshell version. Within the first 3 months I'd had 4 units. 4th unit stayed with me for best part of 10 years, then the caps leaked and the volume pot went, this was resolved by a complete new circuit board being fitted (effectively all the innards bar the transformers). I doubt Rega would be able to perform such an intensive repair as this now.

The issue was the amount they tried to cram inside the slim, small formfactor. Great amp but when buying a used one and expect a healthy service bill.

IF you're after this kinda amp, go for the Bryston B60R - its much better in many ways.

I still have a Rega Mira, but toying with selling it on. It never had a proper chance in my main system as I started going all Audiolab. No particular reason bar I got really good deals on Audiolab second hand (no dodgy comments please). I struggled to find a remote control for it. Bought one that was broken, thought I could fix it...nada. Ended up finding a Solar remote and it works both my Mira and my Planet CDP. Nothing wrong with the Mira, but got an Exposure amp for a steal, so will probably sell the Mira.

advertisement

Back