advertisement

Rega Brio3, Mira3, Elicit - much difference at moderated listening volume?

kash

pfm Member
Much difference with an easy to drive speaker? Looking to put a budget system together, after 10 years without. I have in mind a pair of SF Concertino already have a Linn turntable from years back and need to source a digital player and a few other things. Reading through various forums Rega seem to be a good price friendly match for the SF's.

Last edited:
The Brio R worked well with the Concertos, sources were an RP3/Exact/TT PSU and a Meridian 596 for CDs, I didn't try any other Rega amps though.

I have both the Mira 3 and Elicit R, had them for some years now. Mostly, I’ve been struck by how good the Mira 3 is, in a small room, with Harbeth P3 ES-2s, and several other speakers around that size within the BBC influenced style of design.
Certainly the Elicit R can go further and louder with some more difficult loads, such as the Neat Momentum SX3i.

Given that most of my listening is with a range of acoustic and chamber music, from Baroque and early music to folk and folk-rock, generally at quieter levels - the Mira 3 serves me well.

Moving up to more upbeat jazz and blues influenced music, say Van Morrison, with his layered tapestry of instruments and vocals - or with full classical orchestral work, the wattage of the Elicit pays off, but the Mira 3 is never bad.

I’m not fixated on Rega; I’ve had various Naim and Exposure amps in the house, some tubes, all good.

But given the value proposition, and my actual listening habits, it would probably have been more prudent to stick with the Mira…

The various Brio iterations seem to get more love on reviews and forums; but I’ve found the refinement of the Mira more appealing, if less zesty…..

I've had Brio 2000 (not R), Mira 3 (which I still have in a second system), and Elicit Mkii (which I still have in main system). I've enjoyed them all and found each upgrade worthwhile. I would agree with @Panderos that the Mira 3 is a lovely amp that is largely overlooked.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The Mira3 seems to be the best bang for buck, the pre/power option will probably be a bit overkill for me needs.

advertisement

Back