advertisement

Rega Ania Pro Review

Mr Pig

^'- -'^
I posted this on the LP12 Lounge facebook group but I thought it might be of interest to some here as well.

This is primarily aimed at LP12 owners. Every single review you will read of the Ania Pro puts it on a Rega turntable. There is also a myth that Rega tonearms don’t work on the LP12 but I’ve known for years that Rega arms work very well on the Linn, especially the modern ones. So does the Exact and I wanted to find out if the Ania Pro is something a Linn owner should consider too. Rega cartridges are generally not used outside of the Rega fold but is this reasonable?

The Ania Pro is the second cartridge of four in the Rega moving coil line up, the Ania is the first. I don’t know why they didn’t give this cart a different name. The most noticeable change over the Ania is that it has a Vital stylus instead of an elliptical but the cantilever and even the body are different too. In fact, as far as I can tell, the Ania Pro is an Apheta 2 in a plastic body. It should have had its own name.

Perceived value is not strong. Plastic body, alloy cantilever and a Vital stylus when for two hundred less Audio Technica give you an alloy body, boron cantilever and SLC stylus on the OC9-XSL. Even the packing is minimal, the same small plastic box the moving magnet carts come in. You also get a stylus guard best left in the box after the cart is fitted, the shortest allan key you’ve ever seen and three Lilliputian bolts. The three point fixing removes the need to align the cart on a Rega arm, you just have to deal with the terrible Rega cartridge tags. The comedy bolts and alan key also make sense, Rega don’t want you to crank this cart on too tightly. All cartridges are sensitive to bolt tightness but this one seems more so. If the bolts are too tight the cart sounds congested, narrow, lacking in dynamics. The transparent body lets you see that the cantilever is aligning with the magnets. It’s a hard, engineering plastic but it’s not solid. The inside of the black body is partially hollow with three threaded metal inserts in islands sticking upwards, a bit like an upturned Lego brick. Like I say, it doesn’t look like you’re getting a lot for the money but Rega are a quirky company who do things differently. They do things for a reason and the generator design is unique for which Rega claim big advantages.

On the arm it certainly looks unusual, Rega carts don’t look like anything else. One annoying feature is the plastic triangle Rega have moulded on just above the cantilever. It doesn’t offer much protection, the assumption is that it’s meant as pointer to aid queuing but it has the opposite effect. Because it is black plastic, unless the room is brightly lit, it blends in with the vinyl and does a good job of hiding the cantilever.

Sonically, the Ania Pro has something going on which is really…likable. Yes, an XSL might give you more in material terms and is significantly cheaper but does it sound better? I’d say different. AT carts are very detailed and quick but typically lightweight, maybe even thin sounding. By contrast I love the Exact because it is full bodied and tuneful if somewhat blunt. The Ania Pro may well be a perfect middle ground.

It’s got the typical moving coil attributes. It’s highly detailed with air and space, that 3D sound etc but it’s more solid sounding than usual. Not thick. It’s quick and lively but has a strength of tone which makes notes sing out. Like the Exact, you find yourself singing along and it’s heart-warming. If you listened to it blind and someone told you Linn had made you’d totally believe them as this cart has the characteristics we love about classic Linn. This is a music lovers cartridge which is also pretty good in hi-fi terms. Tracking is very good, it’s quiet, the top end is smooth when it should be, not class leading but good enough. Bass is very good. The plain vanilla Ania is regularly criticized as being bass light but not the Pro. The bass is very deep, clear, tight and powerful when the record allows it but technically impressive though it is, it’s the damn tunefulness that wins you over. It’s so musically enjoyable that you don’t want to take it off. There is a lot of information but this isn’t a detail for details sake cartridge. It’s musically candid. What you hear is more expression, more soul, more musicianship.

I wouldn’t describe it as a bargain or a giant killer but it is a really good cartridge which deserves to find a wider audience. Should you consider it for an LP12? My answer would be why not? Forget the fact it says Rega on it. It’s just a well-balanced, highly accomplished cartridge which has exactly the kind of character Linn users value. And there is one final card it has to play.

When your Ania Pro wears out or if you break it, Rega have an exchange scheme which lets you swap it for a freshly rebuilt one. And that will cost you…. £350! Yip, once you’ve bought one of these carts, it’s going to costs you less than half the new price to get the next one.

Would it would work on a Linn arm? I don’t know. I think it would suit an Akito, not so sure about an Ittok. Just a guess but it’s got a forward upper midrange which might be a bit much on an Ittok on an older spec deck. I also don’t know if the third bolt hole would line up with a usable hole on a Linn headshell but I don’t think that would stop me trying it considering you don’t want the cart cranked up too tight anyway.

So yes, it’s a lovely, musical cart. I kept thinking of the Troika when I was listening to it but I think it's better than the Troika. It was en experiment but I’m keeping it. If you like the weight and punch of MM, find MC just a bit too delicate sounding, I think you might be delighted with the Ania Pro.

417502839_1129666635143339_3948293836994041359_n.jpg

Terrific review thank you 👍. I have to admit it’s a very tempting proposition.
I've wanted to try one for a while. A rebuilt example came up recently so I took the chance.

I actually think it has the best bass I have ever heard from any cartridge. Ok, the Troika was on an Ittok and the RB3000 is a better arm but I've had two OC9s, a Dynavector Karat 17D2 and a few others on the same arm and cart and the Ania Pro bass is noticeably better. It's very CD like but it is more expressive and organic than CD bass.

Nice write-up Colin.
Definitely works well outside of a Rega front end.
I used one on a Gyro/TecnoArm for a while (OK that is based on a Rega arm) and it sounded excellent.
On the the modern, super low mass Rega decks like the P10 the Ania Pro warms them up a tad, fleshes out the bottom end which can otherwise sound a bit 'digital-like' in a good way.

On the the modern, super low mass Rega decks like the P10 the Ania Pro warms them up a tad, fleshes out the bottom end..
That's what I figured. The Exact does the same thing. However, put them on a deck which you might say doesn't need the help and it works very well. You get a sense of solidity missing from most other cartridges but, unlike some, you don't sacrifice speed and excitement. The Ania Pro is a very engaging cartridge. A real toe-tapper.

Thanks for sharing your impressions so eloquently, are you using shims on the tonearm? Tracking weight?

(The three point fixing removes the need to align the cart on a Rega arm,)
I would suggest removing the front screw and using a 2 point protractor to align the cartridge instead of the Rega one point protractor, it will make a marked difference.

Thanks for sharing your impressions so eloquently, are you using shims on the tonearm? Tracking weight?
I've fitted Rega tonearms to LP12s for years. I've also experimented with shims on Rega turntables. My take is that Roy Gandy is largely correct. Yes, shims can make a difference but typically less than changing tracking weight slightly.

I've found that a 2mm shim on an LP12 puts a Rega arm in a position which will be fine for most cartridges.

I don't know what the exact tracking weight is, I can't remember. Pretty sure it's towards the top end of the range. I have tried different tracking weights and bolt tightness.

I would suggest removing the front screw and using a 2 point protractor to align the cartridge instead of the Rega one point protractor, it will make a marked difference.
I've tried this in the past and not found any benefit to it. I'm sure there are pros and cons to different alignments but I think the one Rega have chosen is fine.

That's a fantastic write up Mr Pig! Sums up the Ania Pro perfectly. Mine is on a P8 which is a great synergistic match in my opinion. Before I bought it I did an A to B comparison with a P10 Apheta 3 and had every intention of buying the P10 but the demo made me change my mind. The P10 is incredibly revealing with a very holographic sound stage but the P8 Ania Pro was just so much more fun to listen to. It's like every note is a celebration. Like you said, it really celebrates the musicianship on the recording and brings out the soul and does this with minimal loss of detail. It really does just want to party! I think the Vital stylus is very aptly named as this kinda sums up it's sound. Really makes listening to music an addictive pleasure!

The P10 is incredibly revealing with a very holographic sound stage but the P8 Ania Pro was just so much more fun to listen to. It's like every note is a celebration.
That's a good way to put it. The Exact does the same thing but sacrifices a lot of detail.

I've read a lot of reviews and personal comparisons of the different Rega cartridges past and present. My incline is that it's the plastic body which gives the Ania Pro its full sound with the price being a slight loss of detail.

I also tend to like cartridges that use the Vital profile. It strikes a good balance and carts which use it always seem to be fun.

The thing with Ogura's Vital is that it isn't a particular tip profile, rather a range of five tip profiles that have one of three sizes of rectangular diamond (and two pattern directions) in common. I suspect that Rega's Exact and Ania Pro are each 'L', 'PF' (i.e. 30 x 7um fine-line). Couldn't find a decent tip on shot, however, if you zoom in on the tip of Ania Pro below, you'll likely be able to see that it is an 'L' pattern direction, same as Exact.

BTW, nice review, Colin.

kjhRrblh.jpg

ania_pro_gallery_02_(2).jpg

The thing with Ogura's Vital is that it isn't a particular tip profile, rather a range of five tip profiles that have one of three sizes of rectangular diamond (and two pattern directions) in common. I suspect that Rega's Exact and Ania Pro are each 'L', 'PF' (i.e. 30 x 7um fine-line). Couldn't find a decent tip on shot, however, if you zoom in on the tip of Ania Pro below, you'll likely be able to see that it is an 'L' pattern direction, same as Exact.

BTW, nice review, Colin.

kjhRrblh.jpg

ania_pro_gallery_02_(2).jpg

I enquired with Rega before purchasing my Ania Pro of the stylus geometry but nobody knew (or would say...).
From the sound it most definitely isn't PA - a 3um minor radius is very audible in a good way on inner groove tracing, as micro-ridge fans will attest.

Ogura of old used to spec their 'vital' profile as having a 5um m radius, as used by Supex and Linn on their classic MCs and K9/18.
If you held a gun to my head I'd say the Ania Pro had a 5um profile, i.e. very good at HF tracing but not the best.

Ogura of old used to spec their 'vital' profile as having a 5um m radius, as used by Supex and Linn on their classic MCs and K9/18. If you held a gun to my head I'd say the Ania Pro had a 5um profile, i.e. very good at HF tracing but not the best.
The SLC stylus on the OC9-XSL I have here is the best tracking cartridge I've had. The Pro is not that good but it's good enough and it's swings and roundabouts. Some recordings benefit from the extra top end zing of a cart that doesn't track perfectly.

The SLC stylus on the OC9-XSL I have here is the best tracking cartridge I've had. The Pro is not that good but it's good enough and it's swings and roundabouts. Some recordings benefit from the extra top end zing of a cart that doesn't track perfectly.
I think you meant 'tracing', Colin.

advertisement

Back