advertisement

Rega Aethos. Missed a trick?

Phew !, what a read this was....
All these fancy power amp remotes...
My preamp does the volume control here,it's a Bonnec Timpano and by using my Linn remote it does the biz :)

p.s. my power amp is a Linn Akurate C4200

Phew !, what a read this was....
All these fancy power amp remotes...
My preamp does the volume control here,it's a Bonnec Timpano and by using my Linn remote it does the biz :)

p.s. my power amp is a Linn Akurate C4200
It’s a long time since I’ve heard of the Bonnec! What a fantastic preamp that is.

You can use the smaller rega remote (granted if you have one. I use the one that came with my apollo r cdp) that gives you prefectly controlled incremental or decrease in volume.
I have the Aethos, love it and got used to the Solaris now. The smaller rega remote has gone back in its box

Sorry to bring this up again... but I have just bought an Aethos ex dem to replace a Naim Nova and its absolutly stunning but I cant live with the volume issue. I use it with an Auralic streamer with the output down by 12db but still the control jumps nearly an inch with just a quick tap on the remote!
After all this time has anyone found a fix? Otherwise it will be going back to exchange for a Naim SN3.

I’ve found that the older mini remote works a bit better because the buttons are a bit more “clicky” and spring off the contacts quicker. I’m using my Aethos with a Hugo TT2 (which is 3v full scale output) with 6dB of attenuation. This puts most of my listening with the volume control at the 9 o’clock position or higher and the volume increments are just about manageable there.

I‘ve noticed that older recordings that are quite low in level put the volume control up at about 10 o’clock and the the volume jumps there seem less severe. I suspect a lower output phono stage probably has the volume control set even higher than that and it’s not much of an issue. Unfortunately you need to work around it a bit with higher output digital sources.

If digital is you main source you could use the volume in the streamer for fine adjustments? That’s what I do as the volume on my ATC pre is also not the finest in terms of scale.

Thanks for your reply. I have found that if I point the remote completely away from the unit when I press the button its a bit more managable. I really dont want to change the amp as it sounds fantastic. I will try a Mini remote.
Cheers.

If digital is you main source you could use the volume in the streamer for fine adjustments? That’s what I do as the volume on my ATC pre is also not the finest in terms of scale.
My streamer doesnt have a remote, just the App and I worry that it may go to full volume, but I think I will give it a go 👍

Sorry to bring this up again... but I have just bought an Aethos ex dem to replace a Naim Nova and its absolutely stunning but I cant live with the volume issue. I use it with an Auralic streamer with the output down by 12db but still the control jumps nearly an inch with just a quick tap on the remote!
I think you should not just tell your dealer about this issue but tell Rega directly too. With so many people complaining about it they really should sort it out.

My streamer doesnt have a remote, just the App and I worry that it may go to full volume, but I think I will give it a go 👍
Neither does mine, an Innuos Zen Mini. I can control the volume from my phone, can make fine adjustments. Works really well as different recordings can vary wildly.

I use the mini remote too and it is slightly better. I've learned to live with the issue as it really is a great amp, but for the price we shouldn't have to compromise and find work-arounds

This is a long standing problem which hasn’t really been solved or even properly acknowledged by Rega. I do think the impact of this is exaggerated a little, I tend to not mess with volume in the analogue domain.

One this is for sure, naim do better in this regard.

This is a long standing problem which hasn’t really been solved or even properly acknowledged by Rega. I do think the impact of this is exaggerated a little, I tend to not mess with volume in the analogue domain.

One this is for sure, naim do better in this regard.
Yes they do. No problem on the SN3...

advertisement

Back