advertisement

Rega Aethos. Missed a trick?

This curious remote control volume graduation explains why I experience such difficulty achieving an acceptable volume when demoing the Aethos. Other than that I must say that the sound was incredible and has made me completely reconsider my view of Rega amps.

This curious remote control volume graduation explains why I experience such difficulty achieving an acceptable volume when demoing the Aethos. Other than that I must say that the sound was incredible and has made me completely reconsider my view of Rega amps.

You’re imagining this! The people at Rega don’t know anything about this. They don’t apparently read reviews of their products, even though the reviews are referenced on their website. Yes I’m a dog with a bone!

Have no remote on my Croft .Just set the volume to what i guess will be nice.Then if it,s too loud ,or too low,i have to move six feet and sort it.Life is hard yes.
Fair comment - but it's more than that isn't it?
I quite often use the mute function on the remote (for various reasons) & it's very handy to be able to do that instantly.

I quite often use the mute function on the remote (for various reasons) & it's very handy to be able to do that instantly.[/QUOTE]

Me too, at the end of a vinyl record, so that I don’t have to listen to the click click on the run out groove, nor the sound of the stylus lifting from the record.

Fair comment - but it's more than that isn't it?
I quite often use the mute function on the remote (for various reasons) & it's very handy to be able to do that instantly.
Mute yes.But volume.Just a two second change.Unless your a volume twiddler,if thats a real word.Only use cd .So i just pause,or stop my self.

Ron, thanks for your comments, inciteful and helpful as ever ;);)

The remote per se is not the critical factor here it is the microprocessor control software and as I suggested in a previous post to effect a change would take a time to investigate and rewrite software codes which is ongoing, please allow us some time to achieve this as thus far we have only had around 72hrs (24 working hours) from your original posting.

In the meantime if you do not just tap or press the remote once, which will use the step process, but keep your finger on the button it will override the step sequence and allow you to seamlessly adjust the volume accordingly.

PD

Thanks Paul,

And for thanking me for my comments. Yes I knew the issue has nothing to do with the Solaris remote, as it worked flawlessly with my Elicit-r. I have also noticed that keeping the button pressed causes a smooth step less increase/decrease in the volume, which is great until one needs to fine tune the volume upwards or downwards, when a brief press again becomes the instinctive response.
I also appreciate that it would be a huge task to modify the software, and if a modification impacted on the sound quality then it would be non-starter.
Playing it at the moment, and I feel it’s a brilliant sounding amplifier. But did I mention how hot it gets?;)

But it’s also great for frying eggs on:)

advertisement

Back