advertisement

Rediscover Vinyl.

Mort2k

pfm Member
So.. having got my digital source now sorted, NDC/Hugo, with the Hugo being the important element, I am considering adding a deck to rediscover the re ord collect I’m tne loft.

My question, what level of player (make models) do I need to look at to meet or exceed my digital source level ? I am not brand fussy but also don’t have a lot of rack space. Pre is a Naim 52. Never had an LP12, did have a basic P3 years ago that was ok.

Thanks Rob

I would get the records out of the loft and see what condition they are in. Little point buying a deck if they are warped beyond use...

What is your budget. You also have to consider phono stage, MC or MM cartridge as well.

Not really set one. A few grand (1-2) I guess but happy to go s/h if it increases quality. I can get phono boards or mc or mm in tne 52 I believe. What are the pro/con of mm v mc these days?

Cheers

Please make a voluntary contribution to PFM to express your gratitude for either the immense joy you will experience or the huge saving you are about to make.

I never needed to rediscover just be glad there was something better.

Please make a voluntary contribution to PFM to express your gratitude for either the immense joy you will experience or the huge saving you are about to make.

I never needed to rediscover just be glad there was something better.

Sorry I am struggling with the conte there. You saying joy for going back to vinyl but it will be expensive and I could save if the record collection is warped ?

Unless the record collection is large, as in hundreds, and they would genuinely get played, I would forget the idea, especially if they were not cossetted before they headed for the loft.
As for records stored in a loft................. there is unlikely to be a worse place to store LPs, short of the bottom of the garden. Ferociously hot during good weather, horrendously cold when the weather is cold.
If they are visually reasonable or better, I'd try to get to play a few, as there is a great chance that they will be in a poor state due to mould and the like, which may not be visible, but make them play seriously badly. Cleaning might well be possible, but that is another choice to be made as and when.
If you get that far and still want to buy a TT, your budget will determine what you buy, it is as simple as that, albeit with some choice at any particular price point - you have really posed a "how long is a piece of string?" question.

Used equipment is going to be far and away your best bet if you get that far.

I would get the records out of the loft and see what condition they are in. Little point buying a deck if they are warped beyond use...

Very good advice. I have the turntable I always wanted (well almost) but only 50% of the records I thought I had, of which only 50% are playable. Thank god I didn't invest in the SME V I wanted.

Thanks everyone. Assuming the records are in good condition.

For around a grand what should I look at ? Is it really just linn and rega ( the only brands I know ) or is there no players in the market? What’s the scoop with MM v MC these days. .

Cheers

You will get chapter and verse, no doubt, but the simplest way to get an idea of what you might consider is to use sold listings on FleaBay and the same on HiFi Shark.

Reactions: mww
A few grand (1-2) I guess but happy to go s/h if it increases quality. I can get phono boards or mc or mm in tne 52 I believe. What are the pro/con of mm v mc these days?

Buying s/hand can't increase quality; only v.f.m. The boards for your 52 (are you sure there are none inside?) are good, relatively cheap and obtainable.

The pros and cons of m/c versus m/m would fill pages, but each type needs careful arm selection, as many m/coils need a massier arm than higher compliance m/magnets. Think you are putting the cart before the horse here, as inspection of your collection may well obviate the need to delve into a vinyl rig.

All good advice in the above posts, and it matters not a jot which brand of deck/record player you choose, depending on the support it'll end up on and your choice of arm length.

You know the history of your record collection, and can take a guess on its groove condition. Factor in an RCM if you've got many hundreds.

A lot depends on your personal preferences

a) Vintage v modern?
b) Set up and forget v tweaker's paradise
c) New v used

If you want a modern, new , set up and forget TT, then get a modern Rega, Michell or VPI

If you want a vintage, set up and forget vintage TT, then any of the following are excellent along with a suitable tonearm and cartridge - Garrard 301/401, Thorens TD124, Goldring Lenco GL75 (particularly souped up ones with PTP mods), Goldring G88 or 99

Suspended TTs eg Linn LP12, Thorens TD125 etc are also good choices, but need more careful set up

PS usual caveats about buying used esp vintage - often better to buy the best you can afford, rather than one requiring work (unless you've got the requisite skills and time)

There's a hundred ways to look at this, but I'd start with 3 basic questions.
How many, playable LP's do you have?
How often, really, will you play them?
What is your take on aesthetics? Do you want modern? DJ type? Vintage? Wood? etc.

To help, there are 'good' decks around from about £300 upwards, add the same for an arm and the same for a cartridge (Very approx). So a grand will, with care and proper matching, start you toward something great to play your tunes.
Don't try to equal digital You won't. Just don't overspend and get dispointed. Vinyl is great, and you budget will easily make it enjoyable.

OH, you're going to need to clean the records first, but unless you are going to be buying lots more vinyl, borrow a wet cleaning machine and do them well, once.

Vinny
Cheers. So any brand really just whatever is in the price range ?

Not really - chapter and verse have started :);)

Just get an idea from sold listings, see if anything floats your boat aesthetically as much as anything, and then ask here for advice about what has grabbed you.

First off though - determine what vinyl you have that might be worth playing.

Suggestions for Garrard or similar in fancy plinths really don't fit the OPs brief about lack of rack space. They are excellent players, but bulky.
There are any number oof good record players out there.
I'd say that the world of s/h Linn would be a minefield for a relatively inexperienced purchaser, as there are so many possible iterations of of the deck.

A budget of 1-2K would land any Michell player ( poss s/h for an Orbe) There are lots of Regas. Project have a massive range on offer. The recently revived Technics range seems to have lots of fans. I would tend to steer clear of the numerous 'budget' 'Me too' decks that have appeared on the back of the latest vinyl revival.

P.S. Just noticed you are in Preston. I would advise a visit to Doug Brady Hi Fi in Warrington which is only around a 40 minute run. (I have no financial interest.) They carry a very extensive range of TTs from Rega,Michell, Project, Funk Firm etc.

Mull

advertisement

Back