advertisement

records you regret flogging

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
i have sold many records but why, oh why made me sell 1st press natty dread, what a muppet, did not need the dosh at that time either.

PIL Metal box (in metal box) - didn't like it much but I could have made a few quid, think I sold it for about a fiver :(

Not sure there’s anything I actually regret selling, though there are many things I may not have sold at the right time! I ended up re-buying quite a bit of stuff I sold in my teenage great pre-new-wave purge, but I needed the money to buy the new-wave stuff. In the vast majority of cases I’ve bought back better copies so no issue. Space Ritual being a good example, my current copy is a thing of beauty, just amazing condition, Doremi even better being pretty much NOS. I bought a lot during the dark days of vinyl so a lot of stuff I was missing got replaced at that point as the price was low. I kind of regret not keeping a good set of Beatles records, but to be honest I’d never play them.

PS One of my most notable mistakes as a dealer was selling someone a Nimbus Supercut of Kind Of Blue without realising what it was until I was at the checkout stage after it had all been paid for. The sticker had been previously removed, so no sleeve clues, and I only spotted the ‘Nimbus’ matrix stamp when I was doing the final grade/clean before sending it out. That would have been about 10-12 years ago I guess, so someone got a treat without knowing! A lesson learned to stay sharp and check *everything*. I wasn’t out of pocket as I’d only bought-in at a couple of quid, but in today’s market that’s probably a £300+ record I let go for about a fiver. Can’t remember who got it, but someone here (I never let on, it was only worth about £40-50 or so back then). As it happened I actually got given a copy a few years ago which I have in my own collection, so karma eventually worked there!

I regret telling my old man to take my records to the charity shop in the early 90’s. I was moving around at the time, no system and everyone was telling me CD was the future.

Cheers BB

I’ve never sold any. I keep the packaging of the incoming just in case I change a lifetimes inclination. I doubt anyone has a loft so full of empty boxes as me…

I regret telling my old man to take my records to the charity shop in the early 90’s. I was moving around at the time, no system and everyone was telling me CD was the future.

Cheers BB

:(

I sold my first small collection of vinyl when I moved about 13 years ago ish. This was before I'd discovered discogs or any sort of vinyl valuing means. I just assumed they were worth whatever second hand records would be worth so sold them all for next to nowt.

Just the one: the Nuggets compilation produced by Lenny Kaye (original US Elektra pressing). I sold it in a moment of madness when very short of funds after our first child was born and we were down to one income.

Just the one: the Nuggets compilation produced by Lenny Kaye (original US Elektra pressing). I sold it in a moment of madness when very short of funds after our first child was born and we were down to one income.

You can’t regret feeding your family!! I appreciate losing the vinyl is annoying.

Cheers BB

I sold a bunch of singles to SCIDB on here quite a few years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed buying them all back again (and a heap more), when I realised I really did have room for them.

Having to sell all my records about 12 years ago. Over two thousand albums and around 800 singles and EP’s. A collection started in 1972. CD’s only now.

I sold my clean, quiet copy of Never Mind the Bollocks. Had a sudden yen for a listen again a few years later & replaced it with a noisy scratchy one.

I bought Fields (eponymous) on CBS as a prog kid in the early seventies, mainly because it had both a mellotron and Andy McCullough on it. I sold it - at university, I think - as it was crap. Off the top of my head...

The air we breathe is not so good
The food we eat, we never should
The clothes we wear were never gro-o-own (might have got that line wrong)
There’s too much concrete in all our ho-o-omes
Soon we’ll lose our poetry!
And without poetry
We’ll sink and we’ll die-ee-ii-ee-iie
We’ve got to fight......etc etc.

However, I regret selling it as it now seems to fetch over a hundred notes.

I suppose any regret on selling is purely monetary now, whereas ‘in the old days’, you just wouldn’t be able to hear it again. We pretty much have access to all music now.

I suppose any regret on selling is purely monetary now, whereas ‘in the old days’, you just wouldn’t be able to hear it again. We pretty much have access to all music now.
I think it also has to do with sentimental/nostalgic associations with the record in question. Although I bought the 'Nuggets' compilation again a few years back, it wasn't the same as having the original. Nothing to do with monetary value.

advertisement

Back