advertisement

Records as investments

Ha! I just skipped through the Ken Micallef video and realised at one point he says "why don't we have Bill Gates giving millions of dollars to cure hunger?"

My current Discogs count is 3894 for everything, thats vinyl (including 7”, 10” & 12” singles etc), CDs and even the handful of music DVDs etc. I’ve not found how to sort by category in Discogs so no idea how it splits, but my guess is around 50/50 vinyl/CD (CD certainly far higher in playing length as I have a lot of classical and jazz box sets etc).
In the box where you input the condition data there's a box for 'Folder'. You can make your own definitions (by clicking manage folders inside your collection) but set LP, 12" 7" CD etc and then you can sort as you please

I’ve never bought LPs as an investment, just because I wanted the album.
But have been lucky , and sold a few for very good money, then replaced them with a current pressing for a few quid.
Most recent example, original numbered pressing of Smashing Pumpkins “Mellon Collie” and an original numbered Robert Plant “Dreamland”

Both bought new from Diverse in Newport at release, normal price , sold both for £400 or so.
Replaced Pumkins, with a new one, hated Dreamland , didn’t bother.

advertisement

Back