advertisement

Record Store Day

I went into Manchester earlier for the record fair at Sachas (which was disapointing this time, very few stalls) and the queuing around Piccadilly Records was right round the block when I went into the fair at about 9:50 but had dwindled down to about 20 yards or so by mid day. I still didn't bother with it as there wasn't really anything I was interested in at the asking price.

I would have bought more; there were a few 7" 45's and ep's I would have liked, but £12 a go for a 7" is too much TBH.

Head in Belfast Otis Redding Otis Blue Double album in Stereo And Mono
Rory Gallagher Live At City Hall Belfast 1975 for SWMBO
And used my Vinyl reward card to buy
For £2

Hit Banquet records in Kingston at 5 pm, an hour before closing. Still a small queue but only about a 15 minute wait. Found the two I was looking for:

The Doors - Strange Days (mono) - spinning now, great pressing and SQ.
Brian Eno - My Squelchy Life

and picked up Bert Jansch, as it would have been rude not to.

Managed to avoid the overpriced 45s, but had I seen the Otis Redding I would have succumbed.

All in all a very nice 2 hour outing, having driven to Kingston via Richmond Park with plenty of deer out.

Got up at stupid o'clock and queued at Pendulum Records in Nottingham. Got the LP's I wanted (White Stripes, U2, Johnny Marr & Florence singles). Returned to town later with wife so couldn't resist popping into Rough Trade, couldn't believe how much RSD vinyl they had - must have been another 6 White Stripes LPs on the shelf. Picked up Sly & The Family Stone LP, so a happy days shopping!

Just got back from Newcastle. Managed to pick up 2 I wanted.....

Happy Monday's - Pills , thrills....
Happy Monday's - Live at Brixton Academy.

and Crispy Ambulance - Compulsion

Avoided Steve Reich (£52?)

Proberly give it a miss next year I think it's starting to lose its appeal.....

Wish I had stayed in Carlisle my local Hifi dealer was having an Vinyl open day with record dealers , DJs plus a chance of hearing a variety turntables right up to a LP12SE.

Plus I would of had some sleep......off to bed......

Queued from 5.40 at Davids in Letchworth...lovey staff brought round tea/coffee and biscuits.

missed the Ian Dury LP but did get White Stripes/Sleaford Mods/Steve Earl-Robert Johnson...about all I could justify spending... It may have list its allure but it's still fun!

Arrived outside Spun Out in Northampton at 8.00 and joined the queue. Really enjoyed chatting to the people around me, then at 8.30 the doors opened and I was soon inside.

Grabbed Small Faces Ogdens Nut Gone Flake, but just missed out on the Courtney Barnett 12". I did have a nice chat with the person who got it before me though. Then it was off down the road to Vinyl Underground where I grabbed some non-RSD stuff before heading home.

It's easy to be cynical about RSD, (I know I am), but that was a really enjoyable couple of hours and I'll certainly do it again next year.

Had a curious peep - would have taken the Steve Reich, was tempted for a second, but not at £50+ - half that, maybe.

Picked up a re-issue of the first Martin Carthy record - not sure if it was RSD release but it was in the RSD racks and I'd not seen it on vinyl for ages. £16.99 - a fair price for vinyl - flat and silent - and it's a great record.

The saddest thing for me was that both shops I dipped into had RSD racks full of Bruce Springsteen remasters - that seems a long way from what this was originally about.

I went into Manchester earlier for the record fair at Sachas (which was disapointing this time, very few stalls) and the queuing around Piccadilly Records was right round the block when I went into the fair at about 9:50 but had dwindled down to about 20 yards or so by mid day. I still didn't bother with it as there wasn't really anything I was interested in at the asking price.

Yeah I mean if they are queuing up the street for Piccadilly records, It just reinforces my view that Im not mentally prepared to do this record store day thing. Im too old for all the hussle and bussle :)

The rarer stuff will be gone a few minutes after opening time. Thats if it ever makes the shelves at all.

Theres nothing Im so interested in that would need queuing outside a shop from 4am? in the morning.

Ive been through this "rare" colour and picture vinyl thing the first time around. I dont really do the investment in "rare" vinyl. I dont even seek out the original rarities. I collected every colour of a low value 12" to make a multi wall clock art piece

All I like is a steady supply of vinyl at a reasonable price.

Anyway RSD is mostly all there on ebay if I want to take the desperate plunge at vastly inflated prices :(

I also popped into Banquet Records (Kingston) at about 5:30 today - I haven't paid too much attention to RSD previously, so thought I'd take a look as I was passing. I like the guy that runs the shop and had a chat - he told me that people were queuing from 3pm on FRIDAY! All night on the pavement and bare in mind Banquet is next to a kebab shop, so I bet that was a bit lively! Some ltd edition single from America (can't remember what it was) had certain fans/collectors coming from miles around (one chap from Yorkshire) - Banquet had 13 copies.

I was amazed at some of the asking prices - £52 for steve reich, £47 (i think) for a White Stripes re-press? Pulp seemed to have about 5 albums re-pressed, so in some ways it seems like a 'marked-up marketing opportunity' for some companies rather than genuinely interesting vinyl.

I would have got that Eno but I didn't see it, perhaps it had sold out by that point.

I like the idea of interesting music new, or rare/quality represses, but I can't stand all that 'comes in a metal box' / 'blue vinyl' nonsense. If Sleaford Mods had pressed something new rather than and overpriced picture disk version of their already issued Tiswas 12" I would have been more interested.

However the shop had done good business and it was a fun atmosphere so I'm not knocking it too much :)

Surprised if the Eno would have been sold out at Banquet. There were around 10 in the rack when I picked mine up about 10 minutes before you were in the shop. Did you look under 'E' and not 'B'. ;)

They open at noon on Sunday ;);)

Surprised if the Eno would have been sold out at Banquet. There were around 10 in the rack when I picked mine up about 10 minutes before you were in the shop. Did you look under 'E' and not 'B'. ;)

They open at noon on Sunday ;);)

I didn't go looking for it in particular (I didn't read any RSD pre-release info) but when I read your post I thought that was the kind of thing I might have picked up. Must have missed it in 'E' ! Actually now i've read up on it I don't think it's my cup of tea - I assumed it was from his ambient type recordings.

Caught the end of Gang of Four in Berwick Street. The streets were heaving and littered with laughing gas canisters.

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

I am all for this movement growing... but is it me or is this turning into a cynical smash and grab capitalising on enthusiasts rather than anything like where it came from, a celebration of The Format That Will Not Die. Or perhaps it has always been a cynical smash and grab?

advertisement

Back