advertisement

Record Shops

Sean Regan

pfm Member
This might amuse.

Record stores are like hens' teeth in some areas, there's none in the immediate vicinity for me. But there must still be thousands in America and many in cities around the world.
Another audio message board I frequent, has a long-running thread, nearly 300 pages, which shows photographs of record shops, past and present uploaded by contributors.

Here's one in Florence.

locale1-1.jpg

locale1-2.jpg

locale2-2.jpg

And one in the UK.

03fotar.jpg

Alongside the new Southport record shop, we're lucky to have the superb Quicksilver Records on Market St. Far cry from the 70s/80s though when the town had probably a dozen record stores. I used to spend the best part of a Saturday afternoon browsing and deciding where my paper round money and later my YTS and dole money was spent.

There used to be a good one in Stockport, that was thirty years ago, I don't know if it's still there. They had a good selection of 78s.
I found a copy of this in it for a friend who had restored an old non-electric record player.

Like the one in the OP my preferred record shop also has a café and bar. OK, it’s really above a café and bar that you walk through to get to it. Possibly not quite as glamorous as Florence, but you can have a latte for £3 and I like the ambiance.

20240221195514-67cea8b7-me.jpg

And the facade always makes me smile.

20240221193743-fa803f40-me.jpg

Last edited:
Alongside the new Southport record shop, we're lucky to have the superb Quicksilver Records on Market St. Far cry from the 70s/80s though when the town had probably a dozen record stores. I used to spend the best part of a Saturday afternoon browsing and deciding where my paper round money and later my YTS and dole money was spent.

I used to be a regular visitor to Southport, now only 2-3 times a year.
Thats good to see a second vinyl store opened up. Those Friars Gig posters are truly iconic- I wish I'd have kept all mine.

Have'nt managed a visit to Quicksilver for a while - is he the same guy that used to be Market Records a few doors to the left in a much bigger unit ?

I used to be a regular visitor to Southport, now only 2-3 times a year.
Thats good to see a second vinyl store opened up. Those Friars Gig posters are truly iconic- I wish I'd have kept all mine.

Have'nt managed a visit to Quicksilver for a while - is he the same guy that used to be Market Records a few doors to the left in a much bigger unit ?

Yup...Dave at Quicksilver did used to work at Market Records. He opened Quicksilver about 10 years ago a few doors down on Market St after Market Records closed. He's about to re-locate to much larger premises a few doors down on the corner of Market St and King St. Maybe you remember it used to be a print/copying shop? Quicksilver is well worth a visit. Dave's a lovely chap. If you're on Facebook, check out his weekly video (around 9.30 on Saturday mornings) for an update on new used and new stock.

Last edited:
Like the one in the OP my preferred record shop also has a café and bar. OK, it’s really above a café and bar that you walk through to get to it. Possibly not quite as glamorous as Florence, but you can have a latte for £3 and I like the ambiance.

20240221195514-67cea8b7-me.jpg

And the facade always makes me smile.

20240221193743-fa803f40-me.jpg

That's a coincidence! I'm staying near there at the moment, and have literally just Googled local record shops to visit (as I always do when in a new area of the country) and this was the first one that came up. I'm hoping to visit tomorrow!

This might amuse.

Record stores are like hens' teeth in some areas, there's none in the immediate vicinity for me. But there must still be thousands in America and many in cities around the world.
Another audio message board I frequent, has a long-running thread, nearly 300 pages, which shows photographs of record shops, past and present uploaded by contributors.

Here's one in Florence.

locale1-1.jpg

locale1-2.jpg

locale2-2.jpg

And one in the UK.

03fotar.jpg

I bet Sir Yank's has more interesting records.

That's a coincidence! I'm staying near there at the moment, and have literally just Googled local record shops to visit (as I always do when in a new area of the country) and this was the first one that came up. I'm hoping to visit tomorrow!
Stu is a good guy, and his prices are reasonable too. Only last night I was browsing his new release email and found this new live Can album substantially cheaper than at Bezos World. If you go, tell him the shop’s Official Elderly Jazz Fan sent you. He’ll get it.

If you are more interested in second-hand then the Leamington Record Store in Spencer St is worth a look. And Head in the Priors shopping mall has a foot in both camps.

Last edited:
When over visiting the in-laws a while back we went to Sounds + Grounds in Cowes, which has got some good stock in - decent coffee too.

A shout out for Music in the Green, in Water St., Bakewell. It's been there quite a while, and while not large has quite a selection of vinyl, CD, and cassettes. He doesn't offer refreshments, but there are several excellent cafes and restaurants within a few minutes walk.
I picked up Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers play a selection from Lerner and Loews earlier this morning, still to listen to it.

This might amuse.

Here's one in Florence.

locale1-1.jpg

locale1-2.jpg

locale2-2.jpg

And one in the UK.

03fotar.jpg
I've walked past that one in Florence 20+ times in the last couple of years without ever noticing there were records on sale beyond those café tables :-(

If anyone’s in the South London area I can highly recommend Union Records in Sutton. Situated within a great music venue called The Sound Lounge, it has a great selection of all types of music, on new and ‘preloved’ vinyl. Here’s a picture of one small section of the shop, which is run by musician Danny George Wilson:-

advertisement

Back