advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

On large and small scale - the Brick Lane Rough Trade does exactly this as does Truck Records in Oxford. Both also have live music throughout the week. The shops that are thriving are becoming more and more diverse in what they offer. I've been nagging our hi hi store to follow suit - I've no idea why they don't sell vinyl as turntables are their boom business.

the coffee shop idea is something that I have always thought is a great idea to get more punters in, why has no one ever given it a go, even the dickheads that run HMV haven't managed that - why not HMV/Costa or HMV/ Nero or even better two smaller shops working together
TBone

Is that like, errmmm, an "Amsterdam coffee shop"?? :cool:

It I visited Amsterdam for the first time earlier this year (wonderful city by the way) and in the centre of the city they have a record shop which most of us in the UK can only dream of, it's 3 shop fronts in width and sells everything vinyl, cd, books and even has a coffee shop inside as well.

I went there in the 90's, got all of Johnny Cash's American series up to 1V amongst many others across a few genres, great shop and recommended.

Bloss

I've no idea why they don't sell vinyl as turntables are their boom business.

Incredible, isn't it. Even when you beg them to stock vinyl so you can buy it they won't do it. You'd think the audiophile labels would be a shoo in and they wouldn't need to rack thousands. I do not believe they are interested in footfall or sales of less than £5k any longer.

Even coffee shops will sell you a mug and/or some beans FFS.

It is surprising that we cannot seem to maintain a quality record shop that can cover most genres under one roof in this country anymore. I visited Amsterdam for the first time earlier this year (wonderful city by the way) and in the centre of the city they have a record shop which most of us in the UK can only dream of, it's 3 shop fronts in width and sells everything vinyl, cd, books and even has a coffee shop inside as well. They can make it pay so why can't we ?. If you go to Amsterdam do pay a visit, I bought a couple of albums there and the prices are very competitive, the coffee shop idea is something that I have always thought is a great idea to get more punters in, why has no one ever given it a go, even the dickheads that run HMV haven't managed that - why not HMV/Costa or HMV/ Nero or even better two smaller shops working together details + Concerto, Utrechtsestraat 60,
1017 Amsterdam, Netherlands - check their website.
TBone

The Amsterdam shop sounds great, but adding a Costas or Nero would put me off going there. We have now reached the ridiculous extreme where what was once the Odeon is now a front for Jerry's ice cream.

mat

If you are in Amsterdam, this one is great-

ng1t6s.jpg

From their web-site...

"OUR SHOP at 151 LONDON ROAD, CAMBERLEY, WILL BE CLOSING ON 15TH OCTOBER 2016
TRADING WILL CONTINUE AT A NEW LOCATION (TO BE ADVISED), BUT BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
OUR ONLINE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE TO BE IN OPERATION at WWW.ROCKBOX.CO.UK
FUTURE NEWS WILL BE UPDATED ON THAT WEBSITE, and ALSO ON FACEBOOK at https://www.facebook.com/rockboxcouk/
WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE. PLEASE ASK OUR STAFF IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS."

p.s. sorry about the shouting, the quote is just a copy and paste job :)

Was about to post that - I think Ken has had enough (not that he's there much anyway).
It's a shame, as I've been going there pretty much since it opened 29 yeas ago.

The trouble with used record shops and competition they face from Ebay is that many of them are ran by *****, who'll only pay shit money for your used vinyl, good riddance to these ****wits!! Shops selling dance music (techno) were often ran by complete dick heads, oh yes, they were the worst. I remember some place in Soho, gave me rubbish money for a rare and collectible house 12", only found out years later, as I said good riddance to these slimy ****wits, now we can sell our used vinyl to each other, without some middle man. On the other side! Will miss all the used record shops, ran by decent guys!! There's actually a few here in Brighton, shame Borderline has gone, that used to get all the psych/60s stuff, bit of a legend. Still got Across the Tracks, who get the odd nice item in, and is ran by a couple of lovey guys.

It appears Harold Moores in Soho has closed for good as a result of rent being doubled.

I believe it was the last proper independent classical music shop in London.

I've been visiting it for a long while because of the good jazz vinyl section downstairs. I'm going to miss it.

low-shop-haroldmoores.jpg

advertisement

Back