advertisement

record dividers

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
Having been re-positioned to a new playroom my vinyl is now clearly visible and objections have been raised by Mrs. Bloss about my filing system. She is not over pleased with the current hand scrawled cardboard divisions.
I have done a tad of research and the cost is something along the lines of 30quid for A-Z set. Anyone know of a more reasonable solution.
cheers

Hand scrawled cardboard divisions sound about right to me. Maybe if you had some done by children, in nice bright crayons, Mrs Bloss would look upon the matter more kindly. The essential problem is how do you divide your vinyl.....Does Joannie Mitchell 'Blue' go und er 'J' or 'M' or 'F' (folk) or...well, you get the issue. And does classical work get filed in another area, and what about jazz or 'cross-over'?Or do you store by album name...in which case will you remember them in order to look them up?
I have pondered such matters (sad life) and solved them, by ignoring the issues. Which is why I can't find many albums in order to file them 'correctly.'

No need for dividers at all IME - after a short while you'll learn where stuff is. I've got a fairly large record collection and a record is seldom more than an inch away from where I start looking.

Tony, yes that sort of system worked for me years ago but time has taken its toll on the memory cells. Also I have always had a broad taste is music which is now somewhat wider so my current system is by genre (gives the kids a good laugh with recent stuff)

I've got mine split into 'rock & pop', 'jazz' and 'classical'. My 12" and 7" singles are in tubs or cases on the floor as they tend not to have readable spines. With this method I seldom have any issue finding anything, though I am currently readjusting as I recently shifted a foot or so of largely forgotten rock & pop into the record shop, so everything has moved position a little on that side of the room!

For a long period my 1970 disco 12" where hidden in the cupboard. Still keep my direct cuts, MFSL's half speed and modern 2*45 LP's so noby can miss them.

Loud and Proud!

JohanR (roughly as Tony, actually)

I file mine in alphabetical order by artist in a large Ikea case. Once they’re sorted, you just have to be disciplined enough to put them back in the right place when you’ve finished playing.

Where does rap, c & w, Hip-hop,experimental, electronic go?

I stick it all "rock 'n' pop", i.e. that area has soul, funk, reggae, Krautrock, electronica, new wave, punk, indie, folk, drum & bass etc etc. The only stuff that gets separated out is that with real leanings to another genre, e.g. Santana is in jazz, Stockhausen & Terry Riley are in classical. I also have a 'kitsch / world / other' section for those really whacky 50s stunt albums that won't fit anywhere, e.g. Esquivel, plus things like Japanese traditional music, and test records go there too. I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but genre-dividing too much is a real nightmare and brings more problems than it cures, e.g. do you start sub-dividing Bowie into different categories depending on whether the album is glam rock, white soul etc? There's actually a strong argument for simply alphabetising the lot together irrespective of genre, e.g. Bach, Beethoven, Black Dog Productions, Beatles, Brubeck etc all simply filed in order under 'B'.

There's actually a strong argument for simply alphabetising the lot together irrespective of genre, e.g. Bach, Beethoven, Black Dog Productions, Beatles, Brubeck etc all simply filed in order under 'B'.

Yup, except I have two alphabetical systems - one for classical and one for everything else.Miscellaneous bits e.g. test records etc go in a small separate section

Everything in A-Z by artist, except Classical, where it has its own section, with some in A-Z by Artist, some by Composer. Box Sets have their own section, as do 12" singles, again in A-Z by artist.

Can't be advocating putting Kraftwerk in a skip there...

Mine is A-Z rock/pop, no dividers, seprate group for classical, seperate group for jazz.

Then there is the play pile, new pile and which one shall I keep pile!

advertisement

Back